Blocking Hackers Questions W2K

From: peetm (NOSPAMpeetm_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 09/06/03

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:16:47 +0100

I'm a PhD student in AI and part of my research involves me having my
own server attached to the local network and the internet.

Recently, my server was found to have been hacked - it was running
some internet chat process - and so the univ pulled the plug out of
the back of it until I get it sorted.

So, questions!

Is there some hardware fix for this? I use a linksys router at home
and, since I put that in, ZoneAlarm hasn't show one single hack attemp
- so, would a router or something like that prevent unwanted access to
my server? If so, would it still be secure if I put a website on the
server and allow http access?

What's the best software fix/product to run on the server - either to
catch and prevent hackers or to assist me in configuring the server so
as to batton down the hatches?

many thanks,

pemo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: External NIC No Connectivity
    ... Below is the ipconfig /all from the server. ... We are connecting to the ... internet through a dsl modem and a linksys router. ... dsl modem AND be DHCP assigned IP from the Linksys router. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... The SBS DNS server, running on ... its IP it means that your problem is now DNS. ... forward ports to it reliably in the router. ... I should have been more clear about internet connection.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RWW Disconnecting
    ... I have been connected from a remote site for about 3 ... DHCP server and even a wireless access ... the key codes to for Internet access. ... Client Workstations} ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: EBS 2008 and e-mail issues
    ... the internal interface of the security server. ... If I forward to the Exchange server (yes I know I'm not ... rerunning the change security level wizard is not possible. ... customer here wants to exclude some users from internet. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
    ... I checked the binding order and the Server Local area connection is at the top. ... I should have been more clear about internet connection.. ... I wonder if I may have missed a firewall setting on the router as well. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)