Blocking Hackers Questions W2K

From: peetm (NOSPAMpeetm_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 09/06/03

Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 12:16:47 +0100

I'm a PhD student in AI and part of my research involves me having my
own server attached to the local network and the internet.

Recently, my server was found to have been hacked - it was running
some internet chat process - and so the univ pulled the plug out of
the back of it until I get it sorted.

So, questions!

Is there some hardware fix for this? I use a linksys router at home
and, since I put that in, ZoneAlarm hasn't show one single hack attemp
- so, would a router or something like that prevent unwanted access to
my server? If so, would it still be secure if I put a website on the
server and allow http access?

What's the best software fix/product to run on the server - either to
catch and prevent hackers or to assist me in configuring the server so
as to batton down the hatches?

many thanks,

pemo