Re: Reccommended monitoring programs

From: Duane Arnold (
Date: 09/05/03

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 16:11:00 GMT

Steve <> wrote in

> Hi,
> I will be installing Adelphia Power Link broadband soon and will be
> using a Linksys BEFSR41 router in conjunction with BlackIce on the
> host machine to keep intrusions under control. To round out this
> strategy can anybody reccommend monitoring utilities that will keep me
> aware of attempted attacks or other useful information relating to
> online security? For now I will only have one XP Pro PC connected but
> expect to get one or two more eventually for a small home LAN.
> Thanks for the help, Steve.

Wallwatcher for the BEF model router. Wallwatcher is free. VisualIce is
free or ClearIce is not free. I use all three. ClearIce on the Win 2k
Server machine.

Also helpful are Active Ports and PRCview and both are free.

You should *harden* the XP O/S.

The link I want to put here is redirecting me to this link. What can I

You should read a little on the BI Server manual which gives more detail
information on how the server and PC versions work.

Duane :)

The protection of the machine is a process and not a given!