Re: Reccommended monitoring programs

From: Duane Arnold (notme_at_notme.com)
Date: 09/05/03

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 16:11:00 GMT

Steve <SRossiter@msn.com> wrote in
news:MPG.19c24689d909c5b29896b0@news.fullerton.edu:

> Hi,
>
> I will be installing Adelphia Power Link broadband soon and will be
> using a Linksys BEFSR41 router in conjunction with BlackIce on the
> host machine to keep intrusions under control. To round out this
> strategy can anybody reccommend monitoring utilities that will keep me
> aware of attempted attacks or other useful information relating to
> online security? For now I will only have one XP Pro PC connected but
> expect to get one or two more eventually for a small home LAN.
>
> Thanks for the help, Steve.

Wallwatcher for the BEF model router. Wallwatcher is free. VisualIce is
free or ClearIce is not free. I use all three. ClearIce on the Win 2k
Server machine.

Also helpful are Active Ports and PRCview and both are free.

You should *harden* the XP O/S.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

The link I want to put here is redirecting me to this link. What can I
say?

http://www.eweek.com/category2/0,4148,1237860,00.asp

http://www.sans.org/rr/paper.php?id=616

You should read a little on the BI Server manual which gives more detail
information on how the server and PC versions work.

HTH

Duane :)

--
The protection of the machine is a process and not a given!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Reccommended monitoring programs
    ... > using a Linksys BEFSR41 router in conjunction with BlackIce on the ... Steve. ... free or ClearIce is not free. ... You should read a little on the BI Server manual which gives more detail ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Reccommended monitoring programs
    ... > using a Linksys BEFSR41 router in conjunction with BlackIce on the ... Steve. ... free or ClearIce is not free. ... You should read a little on the BI Server manual which gives more detail ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • RE: Thunderbird Getting Started
    ... bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of steve ... |> left there is a "remove account" button. ... | additional TB account for my MSN email address. ... | that TB cannot contact the MSN server. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How Many "Problems" Will Steve De Mena Discover After Installing 10.6.2 Update
    ... Steve de Mena wrote: ... Mac he starts screaming that its impossible for that to happen. ... that the Entourage database files were located on a directly connected ... It's not just a backup of the server store, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: IIS7 - 67GB of Log Files
    ... Steve Schofield wrote: ... I guess I should have mentioned that this particular SBS 2008 server is my own office one and is *not* a big one. ... This was why I was concerned about the size of these files: was this indicative of some error condition or is IIS compromised in some way? ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)