Re: Credit Card Numbers - vulnerable while you surf?

From: Filip (filip_at_ikke.no)
Date: 08/22/03

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:48:32 +0200

"Dougie Roberts" <dougrob4756821@what.net> wrote in message
news:wk91b.800159$3C2.18107546@news3.calgary.shaw.ca...
> [cross-posting to alt.computer.security. Apologies if this is not a good
> practise]
>
> A friend of mine has McAfee Guard Dog. One of its supposed features is to
> monitor if any Websites are trying to grab your credit card information
from
> your computer. (I think you have to enter your credit card number(s) into
> the Guard Dog application so it when it monitors outgoing data it can
> recognize if a site is trying to pull your credit card numbers -- from
> cookies perhaps, left behind from doing some online shopping at another
> site?).

If I would be interested in credit card numbers, I would be writing a tool
to extract those numbers from McAfee Guard Dog right now, because that's a
sure place to find real credit card numbers. Just a thought...

> My friend says he notices that even when he's surfing supposedly
> "mainstream" sites (such as a national television network for example),
the
> Guard Dog program pops up a warning that the site is trying to grab his
> credit card info! (I'm highly skeptical that this is the case however, as
> know many people who have done online shopping at one time or another,
> without Guard Dog installed, so if "credit card snooping" was happening as
> often as the Guard Dog warnings on my friend's machine seems to suggest,
> then most of my friends would've been hit with credit card fraud by now,
but
> they haven't).

Maybe your friend should do the following test: put in a fake credit card
number in Guard Dog. If Guard Dog still keeps saying that somebody is
stealing his credit card number, then obviously there is something wrong
with the Guard Dog application and you can say that it is worthless.
However, if it doesn't complain any more, don't conclude yet that Guard Dog
is working correctly; there may be other reasons why it complains about
websites trying to steal credit card numbers without that being really the
case (see the other replies).

Filip

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Credit Card Numbers - vulnerable while you surf?
    ... A friend of mine has McAfee Guard Dog. ... monitor if any Websites are trying to grab your credit card information from ... IF this is such a necessary feature then why isn't it widely available?! ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Credit Card Numbers - vulnerable while you surf?
    ... > A friend of mine has McAfee Guard Dog. ... > monitor if any Websites are trying to grab your credit card information ... > I haven't noticed this particular feature in any other security software ...
    (alt.computer.security)