Re: Notepad popups

From: mto (nobody_at_dontsendmeanyspam.com)
Date: 08/09/03

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:09:11 -0400

"dkg_ctc" <dontknowguilt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns93D289B48D505dkgctc@130.133.1.4...
> donut <none@none.com> wrote in
>
> > "dkg_ctc" <dontknowguilt@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >
> >> Because everyone knows how dangerous it is to open a file in
> >> Notepad...
> >
> > That's not the point at all.
>
> Actually, it is. You're using the fact that a webpage can launch a
> document in Notepad as a reason not to use Microsoft products.
>
> > The point is that Internet Explorer, Outlook Express and other M$
> > applications are being manipulated to do things they were never
> > intended to do.

Sounds to me that this is nothing more than the same IE only http command
that allows IE to open a pdf file or show you a graphic without an
accompanying web page. Just so happens "marketers" have discovered it and
are exploiting it.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: opening txt files in a document library.
    ... Is this the missing link to get .txt files to launch with the ... followed by others with Notepad mixed in there. ... >> Probably because I don't think it has anything to do with SharePoint ... File associations are an Internet Explorer/Windows ...
  • Re: XP Pro will not shut down, and CPU often reeves
    ... I honestly don't know how you would copy information from the web interface. ... Perhaps just the same way you would copy anything from any webpage? ... I would open up a text editor like Notepad, ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: File Association Lost for Screen Savers
    ... It appears that the "Merge" verb is set to launch Notepad in your system. ... Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User] ... ..SCR files because it properly activates whatever screen saver I ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cannot launch simple applications (notepad, java) using Apache and PERL(CGI)
    ... >> I need to launch an Xwindows application and a java application from ... > & occasionally run Javascript. ... Apache successfully executes this command and a notepad process does ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)