Re: Firewall

From: mto (nobody_at_dontsendmeanyspam.com)
Date: 08/06/03

    Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:46:50 -0400

    "mto" <nobody@dontsendmeanyspam.com> wrote in message
    news:_8ScnesxI_UBiqyiXTWJjg@seg.net...

    > "Mike Dann" <sod-off-spam@example.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DN" <dipen.narendrakumar@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > I use Windows Xp firewall. Is there any use investing in another
    > firewall
    > > > and if so would you recommed some.
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > > DN
    > > >

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Why don't you guys look at the professional reviews of commercial home
    use
    > > firewalls?
    > >
    > > The reviews on ZDnet for the Norton firewall and the zonealarm pro both
    > say
    > > that these two programs (costing about $60) do, at best, only a little
    bit
    > > more than the built-in firewall in XP.
    > >
    > > Please tell me why it is 'crap'?
    > >
    > > Mike.
    > >

    > For starters, the built in XP "fire wall" is either on or off - in other
    > words it is a very minimal "fire wall." There are no alerts, so if
    > something is attempting to breach the firewall you have no clue and thus
    > cannot so much as hit the disconnect button.
    >
    > I would, however, be interested in reading what ZD has to say - making
    sure
    > of course that all of my security measures are set to high when I visit to
    > avoid the crap that magically appears on their site each time that I do.
    > Would you mind citing the specific URL's that you are referring to?

    Hunted around zdnet while I was waiting. This is the only comparison that I
    found -
    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4521-6520_16-1008556-5.html?tag=tp

    It says no such thing about Norton Firewall or Zone Alarm being little
    better than the built in XP. Zone Alarm is a long standing editor's choice
    winner with a higher rating than any of the other software firewalls that
    they review.