Re: [NEWS] Hacker code could unleash Windows worm

From: Mike (NoSpam_at_NoSpam.net)
Date: 07/29/03

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:05:54 -0400

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:50:06 -0700, Neb Revod
<spammers.biteme@flatline.com> wrote:

>In article <I58Va.526$XV7.442982423@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>,
>alun@texis.com says...
>> In article <MPG.198e6981fafd09f2989727@pdx.news.speakeasy.net>, Neb Revod
>> <spammers.biteme@flatline.com> wrote:
>> >You called it, spot on, my friend. The IDS has logged a huge spike in
>> >attempts at ports 445 and 139 since early yesterday.
>> >
>> >I've been away from the mainstream media for the last couple of days, so
>> >I won't be surprised to hear that its flooded with "the sky is falling"
>> >reporting.
>>
>> Oh-so-balanced an observation on the hysterical basis of our current media
>> choices, followed by a hysterical note of your own:
>>
>> >It ought to be some kind of crime, albeit a minor one perhaps, to
>> >operate a system that still has these vulnerabilities.
>>
>> More appropriate would be to make it a crime to connect to the Internet
>> without a firewall.
>
>Fair enough, though I hardly feel like my comment qualifies as
>hysterical. I firmly believe that the irresponsibility of operating an
>unsercured system connected to the net borders on criminal.

Is leaving your house unlocked a criminal act?

Instead of punishing the innocents, why not go after those who are
breaking into systems and stealing the system resources?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [NEWS] Hacker code could unleash Windows worm
    ... >> More appropriate would be to make it a crime to connect to the Internet ... >> without a firewall. ... Is leaving your house unlocked a criminal act? ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Dear Douggy
    ... From the report it sounds like they committed a criminal act and will ... It's not a petty criminal act it's a war crime, ... repugnant for them. ...
    (rec.scuba)
  • Re: Dear Douggy
    ... From the report it sounds like they committed a criminal act and will ... It's not a petty criminal act it's a war crime, ... repugnant for them. ...
    (rec.scuba)
  • Re: Perverting the course of justice?
    ... criminal act which the electricity company refuses to take into account, ... When someone is murdered, but the police never discover this, are you saying ... NO crime was committed??? ... There can be situations where a court decides a crime has occurred, ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Is this legal?
    ... would be expected to know UK law well enough to know it *was* a crime ... Google have or should have a policing role. ... But making a usenet post boasting about having done ... Nor does it give any significant evidence that a criminal act has ...
    (uk.legal)