Re: [NEWS] Hacker code could unleash Windows worm

From: Alun Jones [MS MVP] (alun_at_texis.com)
Date: 07/28/03

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 02:00:49 GMT

In article <0ob8ivg78ncq1gcdveqtckkpucbt0h4d6s@4ax.com>, The Other Guy
<nospam@this.addy> wrote:

>http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5055759.html
>
>A hacker group released code designed to exploit a widespread Windows
>flaw, paving the way for a major worm attack as soon as this weekend,
>security researchers warned.

Just for information's sakes, the hole for this exploit has been patched,
and anything close to capable of being called a firewall will block the
attack.

Yet another call to the world to download patches, update your machines, and
make sure you're behind a firewall. Wouldn't it be nice if the CNet article
bothered to mention this simple security measure? Honestly, it's as if they
_want_ people to panic and scream curses.

Alun.
~~~~

Texas Imperial Software   | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | alun@texis.com.
Cedar Park TX 78613-1419  | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers.
Fax/Voice +1(512)258-9858 | Try our NEW client software, WFTPD Explorer.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [NEWS] Hacker code could unleash Windows worm
    ... >A hacker group released code designed to exploit a widespread Windows ... [Please don't email posters, if a Usenet response is appropriate.] ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Security Bug in IE
    ... >people print out the contents of FTP sites, ... [Please don't email posters, if a Usenet response is appropriate.] ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: ssl negotiation failed with Microsoft IIS
    ... They can fail when you write first ssl packet header, ... [Please don't email posters, if a Usenet response is appropriate.] ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Why does Windows allow Worms?
    ... In article, Bruce Barnett ... [Please don't email posters, if a Usenet response is appropriate.] ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: LogonUser, but no password?
    ... across a network, for instance a client certificate, or a password, but even ... [Please don't email posters, if a Usenet response is appropriate.] ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)