Re: Suspect file ~

From: Don Kelloway (dkelloway_at_commodon.com)
Date: 07/15/03

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:48:42 GMT

"John E. Carty" <jcarty@NOSPAM.austin.rr.com> wrote in message
news:unzQa.73885$hV.4785863@twister.austin.rr.com...

> "Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
> > "Depresion" <blank@blank.com> wrote in message
> > > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a
> > file
> > > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad
> > > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook
> > express's
> > > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file,
dose
> > anyone
> > > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have
created
> > > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more
lightly
> > just
> > > an error?
> > >

> > What is the name of the file?
> >

> The file has no name, only ~. It is the result of windows update patch
> 330994. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address
book in
> Outlook Express. You can tell if you have applied this patch by opening
> Internet Explorer => Help =>About and seeing if the patch is listed
there.

John,

I apologize for not responding earlier.

While I have the 330994 patch applied, the '~' file didn't exist because I
never used the WAB.

Thanks for the information. It's always good to know.

--
Best regards,
Don Kelloway

Relevant Pages

  • SUMMARY: More 4.0F PK8 patchkit installation woes
    ... Thanks to those who replied - Iain Barker, Pat O'Brien, and especially John ... It seems the problem (i.e. that of long list of complaints from dupatch ... override in baselining makes patch backout complicated. ... Lindsay ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: "Invalid Media Format" error
    ... John Laird wrote: ... Sadly, Alpha VMS lacks PATCH... ... Note that his vfe dump format is reversed from VMS DUMP format, ...
    (comp.sys.dec)
  • sendmail 8.14.4 available
    ... Sendmail, Inc., and the Sendmail Consortium announce the availability ... Patch inspired ... Patch from John Gardiner Myers ... Fix handling of `b' modifier for DaemonPortOptions on little ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Anyone have experience with Glipizide?
    ... experience, taking the dosage you are taking, John, although mine is ... if I took my morning pill, and skipped the evening dose, then the next ... The only problems I have had with lows with Glipizide have involved ... liver's ability to counteract low blood sugar by releasing sugar into ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: 2.6.11-rc3-mm1 (compile stats)
    ... On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 13:51 -0800, John Cherry wrote: ... Adrian Bunk has submitted a patch for this. ... Frank's patch did not fix the undefined reference to randomize_va_space. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)