Re: Suspect file ~

From: John E. Carty (jcarty_at_NOSPAM.austin.rr.com)
Date: 07/14/03

    Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:46:50 GMT

    "Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
    news:%myQa.50$%t1.1@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > "Depresion" <blank@blank.com> wrote in message
    > > I was having a look through the my pictures folder in XP and found a
    > file
    > > who's name was simply ~ wondering what it was I opened it in notepad to
    > > find that is seems to contain all the e-mail addresses in outlook
    > express's
    > > contact list. In fact it looks to be a direct copy of the wab file, dose
    > anyone
    > > know of a program (virus/worm/Trojan type thing) that would have created
    > > this copy (I have an up to date Norton AV running) or is it more lightly
    > just
    > > an error?
    > >

    > What is the name of the file?
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Don Kelloway
    > Commodon Communications
    >
    > Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about the "Threats to Your Security
    > on the Internet".

    The file has no name, only ~. It is the result of windows update patch
    330994. You get the temp file after a change is made to your address book in
    Outlook Express. You can tell if you have applied this patch by opening
    Internet Explorer => Help =>About and seeing if the patch is listed there.

    • Re: CGi parameters lost
      ... After extensive testing of the patch, ... faults in some user's IE browsers when working with our SSL secure servers. ... The identified issue causes errors when Internet Explorer attempts to renew ... have applied the Q832894 security update to Internet Explorer or if you are ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Bulletin: MS03-040 Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (828750)
      ... Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer ... This is a cumulative patch that includes the functionality of all ... A vulnerability that occurs because Internet Explorer does not ... It could be possible for an attacker who exploited this ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: Microsoft to release patch for IE flaw
      ... patch would be corrected in the next update, but not at firefox. ... by ignorant, uneducated Southerners, whereas M$oft Internet Explorer is coded by highly educated and sophisticated Northern intellectuals. ...
      (soc.retirement)
    • Re: CGi parameters lost
      ... installed that latest IE cumulative security upgrade patch [Released early ... We have found that a side effect of this patch is sporadic posts ... the browser immediately after clicking the button. ... Difficulties with Internet Explorer are also likely caused by Microsoft's ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Re: Manually Entering a URL in IE 6 sp2
      ... I applied all of the patches from Patch Tuesday. ... MS06-015 / KB908531 are due to a bad interaction between the security update ... this will start Registry Editor ... Internet Explorer would complete the URL and open the requested page. ...