Re: Symantec Antivirus8 and corrupted profiles

From: Scott Millington (medicb4_at_haapis.net)
Date: 06/25/03

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:17:16 +0200

>YES!! It happened on my company's computer last Saturday.!

Apparently the corrupted file was spread on Thursday.

>When I installed the NAV8 Corporate Edition on one of the PCs, the NAV stops
>running. I tried to scan the computer, but it quited. I thought that was a
>viurs or something. Later, maybe 10 minutes or so, NAV came back normal!
>(and it's normal now, I just checked.)

I have no idea what the deal is with your system but after a bit of
digging I found out the details of the problem I have had to deal with

FYI the problems are only for large corporations and other users of a
"fast track" virus profile distribution option.

There are apparently 2 ways of getting profiles...

1) IMMEDIATE distribution: where the files are FTPd out "AS IS" and
the customer is responsible for all testing and verifications (what
many corporations do as is evidenced by this - cleanup still ongoing).

2) Consumer LiveUpdate: What y'all probably have is updated once a
week unless something major occurs. This means that the problems I
have will be fixed by the time it is released.

I have gotten confirmed that 2003-06-18 rev 6 is Symantec's approved
central distribution and fully OK. The profile 2003-06-24 rev 4 is
the "fast track version" and not generally available.

In other words I blew a false alarm based on mixing information from
my Corporate network and the Internet. They are often mutually
exclusive but even more so in this case.

That being said although keeping AV up to date is always good don't
automatically accept the updates...they can be corrupted either by
human error or malicious intent.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The short answer is that the "as is" virus definitions were not tested
and verified correctly (assuming it was done at all).

- There is no problem at all for home users since they didn't get the
profilesin the first place.
- The corrupted version has been withdrawn so no one else should be
infected.
- There is a fix available in the event someone did get the bad
profile...

As for me...I did not have to do any of the patching of our servers
(although shutting off unplanned in the middle of a weekday causes
everyone to report "Net Problems") and clients need a simple reboot to
get the login scripted update (the script was apparently problematic -
but also not mine).

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...had this
been a real emergency --------------

Scott

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Security and Content Update Problems with IEAK6 SP1
    ... in which case you would only see its effect after creating a new profile. ... Unfortunately the actual settings remain unchanged. ... > I have built a new distribution in a test environment and have the same> problem. ... Looks to me as if I will need to re-build a new> distribution and send it out to all the clients that need this setting> changed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak)
  • Re: MacTeX 2009 and 2008, XeTeX
    ... MacTeX doesn't play with .profile at all; ... binaries at the start of the PATH variable which means the Fink/MacPorts ... distribution is found first. ... after to the front after the Fink/MacPorts addition. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Outlook distribution lists dont work
    ... >> Reinstalling won't help solve configuration issues; ... >> If it dose configure your old pst-file with the new profile ... >>>>> But why can I not create new distribution lists from scratch? ... >>>> a new mail profile and point it at your existing PST. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Customer continues to lose profile
    ... There should be an entry in the log of pc and or server indicating a ... recreated profile on server but then this will pull down the profile from pc ... which has a possible corrupted file. ... Customer reported that the customer lost his profile. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Customer continues to lose profile
    ... recreated profile on server but then this will pull down the profile from ... pc which has a possible corrupted file. ... We have a customer running Windows XP sr3. ... Well this morning customer reported profile is missing again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)