Re: New Spyware Blocklist and other stuff posted

From: YK (YKnot_at_home.invalid)
Date: 06/24/03

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:12:28 GMT

sponge wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:41:08 -0700, wrote:
>> On 23 Jun 2003 16:03:28 -0700, (sponge) wrote:
>>
>>> Kerio, DNSKong. I'm wondering if I should put up a Spyware Blocklist
>>> for Outpost. Anybody?
>>>
>>> I'm also in the process of setting up a "How-To Configure Your
>>> Firewall". I want to have a simple guide like like the one at
>>> PCFlank,
>>> only a little better, as well as a walk-you-through-it. It's at
>>> www.geocities.com/yosponge/fw/kwmain.html. Bear in mind it's a work
>>> in progress.
>>
>> Your link is broken:
>>
>> "Sorry, the page you requested was not found. "
>
> ***Doh!*** Someone pointed out that I bungled the link. Here is the
> correct one: www.geocities.com/yosponge/fw/fwmain.html

Just a little help if you want it.

"Before we begin, you need to do two things: first, Bookmark or add to your
Favorites this page, and any others you proceed to from here, so you can get
back here easily."

Should be.
Before we begin, you need to do a few things: first, to get back here easily
Bookmark this page or add to your Favorites.

"Also, you need to find out some basic information from your Internet
Service Provider who provides your connection to the Internet."

Next you need to find out the IP addresses of key components of your
Internet connectivity. These are available from your Internet Service
Provider or if you are not patient then you can go _here_.

(Note: If most ISP Help(less) Customer Support lines are as clueless as
mine then I would point the user to get the info themselves.)

For the findinfo.html file.

If your system is connected through a router then connect it directly to the
modem after Releasing the current Internet connection.

For Win98/ME systems go to Start >> Run >> enter "winipcfg /all" (without
quotes) and depress Release all. You will notice that several key pieces
of information will be displayed in this panel.

For WinNT/2K/XP get the Wntipcfg tool.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/wntipcfg-o.asp

Create a handy shortcut for this tool adding /all like so:
"C:\Program Files\Resource Kit\WNTIPCFG.EXE" /all

When connection is restored directly to the modem then do a Renew. The
key information that is required in this window is the DHCP Server IP
address and the DNS Server IP addresses.

SMTP,POP and NNTP servers for email, and news IP addresses can be found
using the ping command. But first you will have to find out the names of
these and they are usually in the Online help for setting up your Internet
connection.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New Spyware Blocklist and other stuff posted
    ... > sponge wrote: ... > Bookmark this page or add to your Favorites. ... you need to find out some basic information from your Internet ... > Service Provider who provides your connection to the Internet." ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • RE: Favorites folder
    ... There may not be a problem to fix. ... "my Favorites" function as expected when you are connected to the internet. ... When your not connected to the internet the links do nothing. ... you must manually establish a connection before the links will work. ...
  • Re: Internet Explorer in XP Pro edition
    ... Even for a great number of my favorites. ... No problem with my internet ... connection. ... refreshing the page brings it up. ...
  • T1 ...,
    ... t1 internet connection ... price of t1 ...
    (rec.org.sca)
  • Re: What does the "Configure email and Internet Connection Wizard"
    ... > the CEICW does (listed under "Configure Email and Internet Connection ... > Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard is designed to correctly ... > configure settings for your network, firewall, secure Web site, and e-mail ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)