Re: Windows Indexing File

From: Dddd (Dark_333_at_msn.com)
Date: 06/24/03

Date: 24 Jun 2003 05:44:31 -0700

"Poop Dogg" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<lsidnR_ZqdRlv26jXTWJjg@bravo.net>...
> "Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer" wrote in message ...
> >Windows has an indexing file (which can be deactivated by a user) which
> >indexes all files in one's computer.
> >1)Where is that file? (name/folder)
> >2)If I delete a file (or even overwrite a file using one of the
> >utilities that specifically overwrite its name as well), does that name
> >also disappear from the above indexing file as well?
>
> I'm not a computer expert, but I think you are referring to the
> File Allocation Table (FAT). Disabling this will destroy your
> computer's ability to access files on your hard drive. The FAT
> is so important that 2 copies are kept in case one becomes
> corrupted.

You may look here http://www.antispypro.com/antispy/indexdatpage.html
- there is the information, that you want to know about index.dat. You
can't delete this files, you can just clean them up.
Regards, Dddd

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Indexing File
    ... >utilities that specifically overwrite its name as well), ... >also disappear from the above indexing file as well? ... I'm not a computer expert, but I think you are referring to the ... File Allocation Table (FAT). ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Wheres that idiot, pablo?
    ... One more quarter left and your carriage turns back into a big fat ... sorry the Eagles won again. ... like that you call me an idiot because I think Reid and McNabb are the ... disappear, because the "Fat Man" screws the pooch, and ends up loosing ...
    (alt.sports.football.pro.phila-eagles)
  • Re: What happened to MS-DOS format in Disk Utilitys "Erase?"
    ... It didn't really disappear. ... partition as FAT, you are stuck with formatting the entire physical disk as ... if you erase the entire disk you should then see the option to format as ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: HOW TO RECOVER DELETED EXCEL FILE NOT IN RECYLE
    ... not overwrite anything. ... It costs $79 for the NTFS version and $69 for the ... FAT version. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.newusers)
  • Re: How does usual and regular exercise decrease or Burn body fat?
    ... If you eat 4,000 calories a day and ecpend only 3500 - you remain fat! ... Assuming that you stick to it, death will come before you disappear, but ...
    (soc.retirement)