Re: Monitor a laptop from my desktop...

From: Scrumpy (nope_at_aint.gunna.tell.you.com)
Date: 06/17/03

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:07:06 -0700

"Chuck" <cacrollthespam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:00bsevcrpmuu3a92lpl2asv3qie6d172b1@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:32:12 -0700, "Scrumpy"
> <nope@aint.gunna.tell.you.com> wrote:
>
> >This may be outside the scope of this newsgroup, but I hope someone can
> >help. My 14 was given a laptop as a birthday present. I want to be able
> >monitor what is going-on on the laptop from my desktop. He is connected
> >the home LAN with a 802.11b card and is using Windows XP Home. I am
> >hardwired to the LAN and running Windows XP Pro.
> >
> >My goal is to be able to see his screen at any time, covertly would be
> >preferred. How can I set up his machine for such a connection? I would
> >also like to be able to see his history of websites visited while I was
> >away.
> >
> >Thank you for any help,
> >Scrumpy
>
> Hi Scrumpy,
>
> This newsgroup generally focuses on preventing activities which you
> are describing.
>
> That said, there are any number of remote desktop programs that will
> allow you to do that. Possible questions you need to consider:
> - How do you intend to install the tool on (your son's?) computer?
> - How proficient in finding the installed tool might your son? be?
> - How do you wish to protect the tool from being disabled?
> - How will he feel if he discovers you've been (are?) monitoring his
> activities?
>
> There are numerous general purpose discussion groups in Usenet, such
> as comp.os.ms-windows.networking.(misc, windows, ???) (assuming that
> the systems in question are running M$ Windoze). Also you MIGHT get
> help in something like the ExtremeTech or PCMagazine browser based
> discussions. Try:
> http://discuss.extremetech.com/extremetech/
> http://discuss.pcmag.com/n/main.asp?webtag=pcmag&nav=start
>
> Please consider very carefully the benefit of covertly monitoring him,
> vs the loss of trust and possible resentment should he find out on his
> own what you are doing.
>

> Chuck Croll
> cacrollthespam@yahoo.com
> Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
> Trusted Computing? http://www.againsttcpa.com/
> WHAT IS THE CBDTPA? http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

Thank you for the reply Chuck,

I've let him know that I can and will be checking his machine. I just
didn't want him to know when I was watching. Kind of like what happens in
a work environment.

Thank you once again,
Scrumpy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Serious NG?
    ... >For the longest time this was a good newsgroup but then it deteriorated. ... Chuck Croll ... Spam sucks - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me! ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Cannot install software
    ... The computer is running Windows XP Pro or Vista business on a domain ... The user is given a power user right and they can't install ... You can ask further questions about your company setup in the server ... newsgroup that is specific to the server OS you're running or in the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: DEFAULT TEXT JUSTIFY
    ... Its running Windows XP Pro. ... When I open any Office application the text settings are all right justified and 'right to left' since that is how Arabic Script is written / read. ... I can adjust back to left justification each time but that is a bore. ... You should post to a newsgroup corresponding to the Office Suite in question. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cannot download and/or install recent urgent/critical Windows Updates?
    ... I'm a newb when it comes ... Rock wrote: ... running Windows XP SP2. ... ..uh..Google for that newsgroup for the web interface. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Word 2007 - Startup settings
    ... You can use either Outlook Express (if you are running Windows XP); Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail if running Windows 7 ... Then the way you set up newsgroup accounts is virtually the same for all 3, though the following instructions are specifically for Outlook Express: ... If you don't know the name of your news server, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)