Re: TETRA encryption

From: Jim Watt (jimwatt_at_aol.no.way)
Date: 05/07/03

Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 20:31:32 +0200

On 07 May 2003 01:59:13 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>Jim Watt <jimwatt@aol.no.way> writes:
>> >See for example <http://www.gnuradio.org>. Even HDTV has been pulled
>> >off the air and decoded
>>
>> Undoubtedly it can be done, BUT it certainly cannot be done by a
>> a technical enthusiast with a good scanner and unlimited computer
>> resources. Or not at least this one currently ...
>
>First of all despite the existence of A5, I have the impression most
>GSM calls aren't encrypted. Second, breaks to A5 have been published.
>
>I believe a technical enthusiast with a fast PC and a wideband A/D
>converter (currently costs about 1300 USD but getting cheaper) and and
>some software development skills and signal processing knowledge could
>indeed intercept GSM. Once the required software was developed, it
>could be circulate on the black market (or simply splatted on a
>newsgroup) and then anyone with the right hardware could use it with
>no special skills.

There are other methods, but as I say none are trivial and I have
yet to meet anyone who is listening to GSM traffic.

Also not all TETRA traffic is encrypted anyway, so whatever might
apply to GSM also does to that.

--
Jim Watt          http://www.gibnet.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: TETRA encryption
    ... >> a technical enthusiast with a good scanner and unlimited computer ... >GSM calls aren't encrypted. ... >I believe a technical enthusiast with a fast PC and a wideband A/D ... >some software development skills and signal processing knowledge could ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: TETRA encryption
    ... >> a technical enthusiast with a good scanner and unlimited computer ... >GSM calls aren't encrypted. ... >I believe a technical enthusiast with a fast PC and a wideband A/D ... >some software development skills and signal processing knowledge could ...
    (sci.crypt)