Re: How secure are chat sessions and web based email?

From: Colonel Flagg (colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org)
Date: 04/23/03

From: colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org (Colonel Flagg)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 01:22:54 -0400

In article <WGUna.75919$Vzu.74769@news02.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
webmaster@NOSPAMwhatwomenreallywant.ca says...
> Hi...
>
> A friend of mine and I have been debating/arguing about this issue for =
> quite some time. I think it best, since now our friendship hangs in the =
> balance, that I pose the following questions to the "pros". Your =
> guidance/advice would be most appreciated. Please note that each =
> question presumes that no other third party "recording" application is =
> in play and that everything is "stock" and at the most current release =
> of the application in use. OS is Windows XP Professional, with all =
> current patches in place.
>
> 1) My friend has talked with three system administrator types who have =
> assured her that all of her MSN chat sessions are stored locally on her =
> machine's hard drive, therefore accessible by anyone with administrator =
> rights. I disagree. Who is right?
>
> 2) My friend has talked with three system administrator types who have =
> assured her that all of her Hotmail mail messages are stored locally on =
> her machine's hard drive. I disagree, indicating that her messages are =
> stored on Hotmail's servers and are only accessible with an appropriate =
> username/password combination. Who is right?
>
> Thanks, in advance...
>
> --=20
>
> Kindest regards...
> The Most Reverend Doktor Dot
> For the benefit of all, please post to the newsgroup first.

everything can be logged, everything can be monitored, everything can be
archived.....

will it? not unless you're a target.

are you a target?

MSN chat sessions *could* be logged, if you specifically turn logging
on, if it's on by default, if someone is using a keystroke recorder.

Hotmail is stored locally, even if you delete it, on your harddrive *if*
you us OE to download your hotmail

Hotmail is stored locally in browser temp files if you login to hotmail
via their webmail interface.

All data contained at any particular time is re-accessible, even if
deleted if you don't properly WIPE the disk drive.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Relevant Pages

  • RE: format number-date question
    ... so what happened to Driller? ... Replace xxx with hotmail ... "Kassie" wrote: ... PrivateSub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target as Range) ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • RE: format number-date question
    ... Replace xxx with hotmail ... "driller" wrote: ... date < target ... If Target.Cells.Count> 1 Then Exit Sub ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • RE: format number-date question
    ... date < target ... Replace xxx with hotmail ... "driller" wrote: ... If Target.Cells.Count> 1 Then Exit Sub ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Internet explorer/Messenger
    ... there target. ... Also after an initial log in to hotmail i cannot display the ... page the only way to acces hotmail again is to reboot my computer.I have a ... the fixes for the error code but to no avail. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)