Re: Stealth vs. Blocked

From: Whoever (nobody@devnull.none)
Date: 04/11/03

From: Whoever <nobody@devnull.none>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 05:34:40 GMT

On 11 Apr 2003, Donut wrote:

> Whoever <nobody@devnull.none> wrote in
>
> > If you read www.grc.com, you will see that he promotes firewalls
> > essentially to mitigate the effects installing a virus, trojan,
> > spyware or other malware. Personally, I feel that:
> >
> > 1. Viruses, trojans, etc can disable software firewalls, so the
> > effectiveness of a software firewall may be very limited.
>

> First, the virus or trojan has to get inside, which is exactly what the
> firewall prevents. Yes, it could get inside via an email, which is why you
> need an up to date virus scanner running, and also to be very careful about
> strange emails.

Very few Windows viruses use transmission methods that firewalls block.

There was one virus/worm recently that exploited open shared C: drives.
That is about the only type of worm/virus that a firewall can stop -- and
re-configuring or disabling the file sharing will have the same effect.

The vast majority of viruses are spread by email, with other methods such
as on file sharing networks (kazaa, etc.) providing another method that is
immune to blocking by firewalls.

> I use a Yahoo account for general email, and my private one is only
> available to trusted people. Yet, I STILL ended up with a virus last year,
> because I wasn't practicing what I just preached. My virus scanner at that
> time didn't scan incoming POP3 mail, and I trusted Eudora to be virus safe,
> which it certainly is not.

You just confirmed my point: firewalls offer little to no protection
against viruses. Safe email practices are much more important.

With the greatest respect, your experience above does not qualify you as
an expert -- rather the reverse, is qualifies you as someone who is not
very good at computer security.

I am not advocating that firewalls should not be used. Rather that an
external firewall is far preferable.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: XPE Security - virus and hacker attacs
    ... a firewall, close most network ports as much as possible, ... Any system could be broken (intentionally, or with a virus). ... > alone" and help from several of the more nasty network borne viruses... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Outlook and irrational virus fears
    ... >product is incredibly virus prone. ... we receive email viruses here all of the time. ... >A firewall does NOT stop email. ... Outlook 2003 is an excelent program and i would strongly ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Install XP and try to Windows Update = catch viruses immediately
    ... >> You don't need to click on any exe to catch a virus these days. ... >> apply the updates if I catch the viruses as soon as I connect to ... >> WinXP do when they have to reinstall? ... > The answer is to enable the XP firewall BEFORE going online. ...
  • Re: NEED HELP...please
    ... Make sure your virus definition files are up-to-date. ... Viruses aren't the only thing that can leave your computer dead in the ... Download and install Lavasoft's "AdAware" program - the free one. ... If your XP "Internet Connection Firewall" isn't ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Identity P/W and Security question
    ... If all you use the permanent connection for is surfing, ... A firewall that just blocks all incoming connections ... and a virus scanner to take care of the mail worms is all they've ever ... >> around the net surfing news sites or whatever it does the job. ...
    (alt.computer.security)