Re: Stealth vs. Blocked

From: Donut (none@none.com)
Date: 04/11/03

From: Donut <none@none.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2003 02:54:59 GMT

Whoever <nobody@devnull.none> wrote in
news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0304101737480.707-100000@c941211-a:

> If you read www.grc.com, you will see that he promotes firewalls
> essentially to mitigate the effects installing a virus, trojan,
> spyware or other malware. Personally, I feel that:
>
> 1. Viruses, trojans, etc can disable software firewalls, so the
> effectiveness of a software firewall may be very limited.

First, the virus or trojan has to get inside, which is exactly what the
firewall prevents. Yes, it could get inside via an email, which is why you
need an up to date virus scanner running, and also to be very careful about
strange emails.

I use a Yahoo account for general email, and my private one is only
available to trusted people. Yet, I STILL ended up with a virus last year,
because I wasn't practicing what I just preached. My virus scanner at that
time didn't scan incoming POP3 mail, and I trusted Eudora to be virus safe,
which it certainly is not.

Relevant Pages

  • >>>> REMOVE MANUALLY <<<<
    ... Remove Virus Manually ... How To Remove Spyware Manually ... Manually Remove Trojan Horse ... Manually Remove Symantec Antivirus ...
    (sci.math.num-analysis)
  • Re: Win32/Agent.ONB Trojan virus built into an mp3 player rom
    ... When the MP3 Player is plugged into a USB port on our computer, it is identified by Windows XP home as two devices:- ... The result of this is that Windows tries to run the file "start.exe", and as soon as this happens it is flagged by the anti-virus software as containing the Win32/Agent.ONB Trojan virus ... There are some references to this virus on the web, but nothing very useful which I have found so far - the following has been translated from Italian on a forum and relates a similar experience. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: trojan virus PLEASE HELP!
    ... There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion. ... How do you know you have a Trojan on your PC? ... This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode. ... You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files or you can ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Vicious Vundo Infection
    ... Spybot) but cannot get rid of it. ... The virus puts a new entry in the startup command every time I re- boot. ... The Active Boot Disk has a 10 day trial, ... that the trojan created. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Win32/Agent.ONB Trojan virus built into an mp3 player rom
    ... When the MP3 Player is plugged into a USB port on our computer, ... There are some references to this virus on the web, ... the presence of a file infested by trojan. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)