Re: Stealth vs. Blocked

From: Art Kopp (artnpeg@claymania.com)
Date: 04/10/03

From: Art Kopp <artnpeg@claymania.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:19:12 GMT

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:40:48 -0400, "Bargepole" <jbhur@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Art Kopp" <artnpeg@claymania.com> wrote in message
>
>> If stealth is of no value (or even detrimental) then what's the point
>> of using a software firewall for single PC users who have file sharing
>> disabled (and who aren't running a server of any kind)?
>
>A software firewall can be used to log incoming or outgoing connections, if
>that's of interest.
>It can also be used to prevent outgoing connections to specific services or
>hosts. This could be of use in a multi-user, single PC environment.

I use Sygate from time to time for both purposes.

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
artnpeg@claymania.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Suspicious ports being open...
    ... software firewall to block these outgoing connections, ... 445 (and throw 135-138 UDP ports in too at a minimum). ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: ICF with router ?
    ... > only reason to have a software firewall with a router would be to ... > is the only software firewall that blocks/allows outgoing connections. ...
  • Re: Stealth vs. Blocked
    ... > of using a software firewall for single PC users who have file sharing ... > disabled (and who aren't running a server of any kind)? ... A software firewall can be used to log incoming or outgoing connections, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Software vs. Hardware firewall
    ... so the second PC is the hardware firewall to manage incoming ... Where-as the software firewall manages outgoing connections? ... I only have one power workstation, no 2nd PC to rely on. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Stealth vs. Blocked
    ... A software firewall is also useful for controlling outbound requests, ... IMHO, Stealth is silly, as is "leaktest" signature checking. ... I have never heard of a trojan that replaces a known app, ...
    (alt.computer.security)