Re: Open Proxy - how do I prevent it? (long mail)

From: Colonel Flagg (colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org)
Date: 04/04/03

From: colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org (Colonel Flagg)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 16:30:08 -0500

In article <4r2r8v4uihu7724mms2eu3jdf6q5b68b57@4ax.com>, mail@crax.dk
says...
> > At a guess, your smtp server is probably accepting mail from and to any
> >address on the net - i.e. it's probably acting as a relay usable by
> >spammers. Unless you have a good reason to be offering an SMTP service to
> >the world at large, you should probably block port 25; if OTOH you're
> >running your own MX there should be some way to configure qmail to only
> >accept mail destined for your domain.
>
> I am running my own MX, so blocking the port wouldn't help me much.
> I have tried setting up Qmail to only accept mail from local hosts,
> but I might have misconfigured something.
>
> Do you know any program or web page, that offers to test whether or
> not a site "offers" an open STMP relay?
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Rokamp

telnet to relay-test.mail-abuse.org on port 25 from the IP address
associated with your mail server.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: mail server
    ... First, I will start off by saying, I run qmail on many ... >>> configure a mail server that must meet enterprise requirements. ... >>of a sendmail installation, although the configuration files are different. ... >>licensing is GPL. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Req: Good virtual mail server howto
    ... >> I personally like qmail, we use it on our mail server, and like you we ... > If you opt for using postfix, I like using the www.high5.com howto which also includes using postfix admin to manage your virtual users. ... like qmail or postfix. ... Both courier and cyrus have support for virtual users and domains. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: mail server setup questions
    ... Subject: mail server setup questions ... (as in "What patches do I need to make this do something ... I just realised that qmail appears over and over in Linux ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: SUGGESTON FOR: HIGH END MAIL SERVER
    ... Qmail is very good; and if your looking to run it on a rpm based ... Subject: SUGGESTON FOR: HIGH END MAIL SERVER ... Anmol Bedi ... not in Exim that I'm aware of at the moment. ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: SUGGESTON FOR: HIGH END MAIL SERVER
    ... make installing qmail much easier; ... I agree, having used all popular MTA's sendmail wins out, followed by a closey second Qmail, combined with vpopmail the capabilites are almsot endless. ... Subject: SUGGESTON FOR: HIGH END MAIL SERVER ... Qmail-pop3d is good pop3 server ...
    (RedHat)