Re: how to clear content of DAT-files?

From: Mats (matsojatswissonlinedotch)
Date: 03/17/03

From: "Mats" <matsojatswissonlinedotch>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:41:46 +0100

"ronwer" <ronwer.nospam@tiscali.no> wrote in message
news:ww0da.128184$Hl6.11575508@news010.worldonline.dk...
> Hi!
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to clear the contents of the
> DAT-files that moniter ones use of internet. I tried to delete the
contents
> of such files and save the file, but XP refuses to do so. Nor is it
possible
> to delete such files, which has nothing to do with it's attributes, there
is
> no visible protection.

The "index.dat" is a system file (why?) and is protected by Windows.
And there are "index.dat" in several locations!!
You can probably buy programs that gets rid of this one or empties the file.
However the cheapest is to write a script as below:

cd C:\Documents and Settings\user name
rd /s/q locals~1\tempor~1
rd /s/q locals~1\temp
rd /s/q temp
rd /s/q locals~1\history
md locals~1\temp
rd /s/q cookies
md cookies

You have to write your user name in the first line.
This script deletes all temporary directories including "index.dat" and
cookies.
Windows will recreate the files/directories.
Name file as "clean.cmd".
Now goto start menu and click Run...
In the dropdown box write "gpedit.msc" and click OK.
In computer config go to Windows settings, Scripts (startup/shutdown)
Chose Shutdown and click properties, now add the file "clean.cmd"
"clean.cmd" will execute when you shut down your comp and delete the
folders, files and cookies.
Windows does not protect the files during shutdown!
This is valid for XP Pro at least, dont know for Home

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IP / Proxy / Anonymous Browsing Question...
    ... Browser Security ... Cookies can act as ... of which can be programed to access the Windows System or your ... bypass any firewall since messaging is web page to web page. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: browsing the web privately - how??
    ... Browser Security ... Cookies can act as ... of which can be programed to access the Windows System or your ... bypass any firewall since messaging is web page to web page. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Microsoft Warns of New Windows Flaw (March 19, 2003 )
    ... In WINDOWS SETUP in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS of Control Panel ... Uninstall Outlook Express, ... Java, Javascript, ActiveX and all the other script runner toys Billy ... Install WebWasher the spammers are terrified of free from ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Microsoft Warns of New Windows Flaw (March 19, 2003 )
    ... In WINDOWS SETUP in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS of Control Panel ... Uninstall Outlook Express, ... Java, Javascript, ActiveX and all the other script runner toys Billy ... Install WebWasher the spammers are terrified of free from ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How Do I Fix Script Errors?
    ... OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6 ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...