Re: Is an MS Word document executable?

From: Whoever (nobody@devnull.none)
Date: 03/16/03

From: Whoever <nobody@devnull.none>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:32:11 GMT

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Ralph A. Jones wrote:

> And while your are trying rtf, also try ".dog" or ".cat" as the file
> extension (renamed outside of Word) to see if it gets through. If so,
> just have the recipient change the file extension back to ".doc" before
> opening it in Word on their end.

Another method is to put the word doc into a password protected zip file.
Then the virus scanner cannot scan it.

However, there is another reason not to exchange word files. This is the
recently publicised file stealing capability. In essence, it works like
this: the word document has a link to a file on the users system. The word
document is sent to a unsuspecting victim. When the victim opens and saves
the word document, Word includes the linked file FROM THE VICTIM'S SYSTEM.
Now, when the word document is returned to the sender, the sender receives
a copy of the file from the victim's computer.

There is open source software available (intended to run on a *nix mail
server) that can scan for macro viruses and other nasties, such as the
problem above.

> Tony wrote:
> > "Jim Watt" <> wrote in message
> >

> >>On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:19:41 GMT, "Tony" <>
> >>wrote:
> >>
> >>Its a good idea to exclude all file types that are executable - I have
> >>had suppliers send me spreadsheets with macro virii preinstalled.
> >

> > So have I with Word files and my AV program stopped them. I'm sure yours
> > did too.
> >
> > What you are saying is that it is not a good idea for people not in the same
> > company to collaborate on projects by exchanging word processor or
> > spreadsheet files. However this has become the standard way of working. If
> > they can't be sent by e-mail, they can't be exchanged at all, because a
> > floppy or CD is just as dangerous.
> >
> > I ask again, can't they use an antivirus program for protection? Mine seems
> > to work OK, and picked up all the prevalent trojans etc. that came in last
> > summer (before I started using Mailwasher).
> >
> > Using RTF is the most useful idea yet and I shall give it a try. Since
> > we're all using MS Word, it will probably preserve the formatting very well.
> >
> > Tony W

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How do I turn off the (non-printing) margin markers?
    ... Tony ... > When I open a new Word document, I see small corner shaped marks ...
  • Re: Closing Word using Automation
    ... Tony ... > My Access database controls a Mail Merge Job in Word. ... > In the Word document the Sub AutoOpen Prints the mail merge job. ...
  • Re: right margin shifts beyond ruler parameters
    ... Tony ... > my client has a word document and when she opens it the right margin text ...
  • Re: Headers and Footers
    ... It sounds like you've got a shimmer or other text effect. ... Tony ... > I copied another word document into my document and the headers are sort ... Prev by Date: ...
  • Graphics in Word 2002 (Office XP)
    ... I received a Word document with a single graphic pasted on ... sender and I are running Windows ME. ... Drawings is CHECKED. ...