Re: Is an MS Word document executable?

From: Bill Unruh (unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 03/14/03

From: unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh)
Date: 14 Mar 2003 18:19:25 GMT

"Tony" <news-reply@tonywoolf.co.uk> writes:

]I recently sent an e-mail with an MS Word document attached. It was
]rejected by the company's e-mail gateway with the message that it had been
]blocked "because an executable attachment has been detected within the
]email."

]The document in question was straightforward and had no macros. Could this
]be dangerous? Was it really an executable attachment? Does this
]blunderbuss approach to safety really protect against nasties that a
]properly updated anti-virus program will let through?

Of course it could be dangerous. It could easily contain macros.

Sending attachments should never be done unless you and the other side
have agreed to do so befor hand. The other person may not be able to
read the attachment you send, or it could easily contain trojan code.
HOw do you think most of the recent security breaks were perpetrated? Or
is the whole world supposed to know that you are a good guy and that you
would never allow your system to be cracked and used as an agent for
nasties.(When was the last time you installed a security update?)

]I had to reply to the message to get them to do a manual check. In the end
]the e-mail took 16 hours to get through. This is progress? I'm asking
]because I really want to know. If it is really necessary for safety I will
]accept it. If they are being silly I will make a fuss as it is a real

Yes, accept it, and befor you put in an attachment, ask if it would not
be much better sent as plain text, which everyone can read.

Relevant Pages

  • Is an MS Word document executable?
    ... I recently sent an e-mail with an MS Word document attached. ... rejected by the company's e-mail gateway with the message that it had been ... blocked "because an executable attachment has been detected within the ... If it is really necessary for safety I will ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Do you want to save or open this file?
    ... You can't for safety reasons... ... Dim myFile As New FileInfo ... I click open and a macro runs in the word document and word closes down. ... Derek ...