Re: DSL security

From: billh (wth19542001@yahoo.ca)
Date: 03/14/03

From: "billh" <wth19542001@yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:06:27 -0500

"Tony Miklos" <tmiklos@netcarrier.com> wrote in message
news:3E70CE17.6680AF1B@netcarrier.com...
> The DSL provider I'm about to check out on a trial basis told me that by
> using a router, I don't need a firewall (that will slow things down).
> He said something about the router using "fake" IP address'? Any sense
> to this or is he just trying to sell me a router, even though I only
> have 1 computer on line?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Tony,
I have a Linksys router and like it. If I were to get one, I would get the 4
port since they aren't that much more money and then you are set for a home
network in the future.

My DSL provider uses PPP0e and with the router I don't even have to load any
software for any of the PCs connected to the router for all to have access
to the internet since the router provides the protocol and login info to the
ISP.

I also run anti-virus software and the free Sygate firewall. The firewall
lets you control what is going out of your computer and the easily
accessible logs give you a good idea what is going on.

If I disable the firewall for a brief period of time for some reason, I am
still provided some anti-hacker protection by the router.

So, IMO, if you have the money get the router. In any case, get a personal
firewall and always use anti-virus protection. In the future, if you decide
to build a LAN and haven't bought a router, get the router then, do not
waste money on a hub since the router provides that function plus the
others.

Hope this helps a bit,
Bill

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... not visiting dodgy Websites. ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... how long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: What is broken:McAfeee firewall or my router ????? Urgent, ple
    ... your computer regardless of what McAfee firewall said. ... If your router is ... warned about those ports being available right away if you had any of those ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc so it ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... having the protection of a router, not opening dodgy emails, and not ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by your router ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)