Re: DSL security

From: Whoever (nobody@devnull.none)
Date: 03/13/03

From: Whoever <nobody@devnull.none>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:52:09 GMT

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Tony Miklos wrote:

> So I guess you are saying I should have both a firewall and the router?

Ideally, you should get a router with built-in STATEFUL firewall. Stateful
firewalls provide the best protection.

> By the way, the router is a Linksys model # BEFSR41. $100 and a $50
> rebate. Any thoughts on that brand/model? If I remember to send for

I have no experience with Linksys routers.

> the rebate, the price seems right! Or if I go to a local computer
> junkyard is an older used router just as good?

You probably won't get one that supports both:
1. PPPoE (needed for most DSL connections)
2. Stateful firewall.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... not visiting dodgy Websites. ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... how long it plays for because it's all been ripped on to hard disc ... the ame router to get access to the net! ... I'm paranoid about opening up my firewall "just in case..." ... The protection that it does supply is also provided by ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: black ice usage question
    ... The point is with a router already there, all ports are already being ... > With BI set in the Paranoid mode with the 1-65535 rules set, ... > protection for unsolicited inbound traffic to the machine. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Zone Alarm Pro: How to *ALLOW* incoming web access
    ... Duane Arnold bashed at the keyboard and said: ... > protection of a NAT router, which is going to stop a lot of attacks up ... > forwarded inbound ports, which you'll have to do on port 80. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Another Newbie asking "Which Anti-Virus Sofware is the Best?"
    ... | I'm sold on getting an external router. ... The cost of a 'firewall appliance' can be as little as a few hundreds of ... I can think of only three advantages to a wireless LAN; ... protection from lightning induced surges on phone lines or cable ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)