Re: Sharing folders on XP

From: Prosys (no@thanks.com)
Date: 03/01/03

From: "Prosys" <no@thanks.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 23:00:06 GMT

You mean equally important and I agree. Configuring a firewall can be a
challenging task. I like those firewalls that ask me what to do for each
connection so I can build the rules as I go.
But even more complex than a firewall is a router. Those things take the
prize for ambiguity in my book. So many options with such specific terms
and odd naming conventions. When did all this arise and are there any
standards?

"Don Kelloway" <dkelloway@commodon.com> wrote in message
> If you do not have a firewall between your system and the Internet, the
> shares would be open to accessibility. More important to having the
> firewall is ensuring that it's configured correctly.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Don Kelloway
> Commodon Communications
> http://www.commodon.com
>
> Visit http://www.commodon.com to learn about Back Orifice (BO), NetBus
(NB),
> SubSeven (Sub7), etc. All of which are "Threats to Your Security on the
> Internet".
>

> "Prosys" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> > If I share a folder on windows XP and then connect to the internet is
the
> > shared folder visible or accessible on the internet?
> > thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [fw-wiz] Cisco PiX 501 running 6.2 - Defying me for no reason
    ... Well, after researching, configuring, reconfiguring, and just a bit ... the vpn client through the SecureWay firewall. ... The PiX is outside the firewall, on its own line/lines (explained in a ... the vpn eventually) can access the internet fine. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: avast
    ... > Just did a clean installation of xp pro sp1 and download 'avast anti ... Did you firewall before connecting to the internet? ... Internet and patch with the critical updates? ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP NOT RESPONDING
    ... Did you have a firewall going before connecting to the internet? ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... are pay - some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
  • Re: Security Alerts Driving Me INSANE!
    ... The only reason, really, that you need a firewall and antivirus software is ... because you use the Internet with your computer. ... cleaned up and considered a hardware upgrade or three. ...