Re: PGP Secure? Nope!

From: Feher Tamas (etomcat@freemail.hu)
Date: 02/28/03

From: "Feher Tamas" <etomcat@freemail.hu>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:28:41 +0100

Hello,

>True the NSA probably have no interest in our discussions. But the CIA are
>starting to. They are trying to hook into everything.
>
>NSA are not interested but if they wanted to they could crack pgp in real
>time i believe.
>
>You can purchase a book off the shelf, which documents how to build a
custom
>machine with custom processing chips for less than a million US and that
can
>crack DES in an average 3 days.

Earlist known DES-cracking chips were made in East Germany for the Soviets,
you could probably buy a few dozen at eBay. Really doesn't matter, because
DES-cracking chips are useless against 3-3-DES, where the problem is almost
DES x DES times harder to bruteforce. BTW, the soviet GOST crypto is a
copycat of 3DES.

3DES's big problem is speed, it is dog slow without hardware accelerators.
And buying accelerator cards cuts deep into your pocket and they are not
easy to verify as trusted, unlike open-source software implementations.

Blowfish may be a good replacement for 3DES.

Sincerely: Tamas Feher.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... NSA has characterized DES as one of their biggest ... If NSA had always before used to force their algorithms into silicon ... chips with special "coating", that would clearly tell that NSA did not ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... a mistake. ... The introduction of DES is considered to have been a catalyst for the ... NSA has characterized DES as one of their biggest ... Certainly the unkeyed Initial Permutation and Final Permutation make no sense for security or for software, but IIRC, it allows hardware registers to be filled in parallel (or something. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... So DES was a mistake because it was followed by research? ... Or because the NSA was not able to predict the future very well? ... NBS standardization process and the algorithm ended up being ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... the explosion of academic research into crypto that followed the DES ... publication, as described in both the quote itself and in the NIST ... Or because the NSA was not able to predict the future very well? ... of DES lead to an explosion of published public sector crypto research. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Wikipedia "Cryptography" reaches Featured Article status
    ... The controversy over DES eventually subsided, but in late 1985 NSA ... then isn't it a consequence of the reduced key ... of its major elements except the criteria for S-box design have been ...
    (sci.crypt)