Re: PGP Secure? Nope!

From: Player (hee@mmm.huh)
Date: 02/26/03

From: "Player" <hee@mmm.huh>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:27:33 GMT

"Fondula di Carceri" <fondula.di.carceri@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:b9Q6a.76420$Jd.8605@afrodite.telenet-ops.be...
> > In article <f9ok5v0b78l3hgl3c1rvddfco5cjen7kj6@4ax.com>,
> > Me <here@there.go> wrote:
> > > I see this and I always say: "so what". What is the likelyhood that
> > > you're ever going to be exchaning information that the NSA is even
> > > remotely interested in? Good lord, if you've been deemed a national
> > > security interest, you've got a lot bigger worries than who can
decrypt
> > > your emails.
> > Isnt't that the whole point of using strong encryption in the first
place?
> > To stop yourself becoming someone the NSA is interested in?
> > If you've a political activist or connected with groups in outlawed
> > countries, then the NSA snooping your mail might alert them to the fact
> > they might want to keep an eye on you. If your mail is encrypted, then
all
> > they know is you're encrypting mail, but they don't know what the
subject
> > is.
> The point is, the NSA (and probably a few other organisations too)
probably
> has the mathemical knowledge and the computing power to do this realtime.

Yes. So point is, using PGP is only suffice to protect yourself from each
other.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Electronic Intercepts from Al Qaeda
    ... > lead them to avoid encryption most of the time. ... I would rather lead an army of people whose beliefs ... Sure the NSA may intercept most of there messages. ... instantly read the message if it was encrypted english. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Google Bobbles NSA wiretap searches
    ... Everyone can protect his information by using encryption. ... credible reason to believe that the NSA equipment is acting as MITM ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: PGP Secure? Nope!
    ... > foolish to think that NSA can break it. ... There is more to secrecy than pure encryption. ... GnuPG key available at http://www.vigay.com/security/gpg.html ... Posted using a RISC OS computer - 100% immune to all email viruses. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • EFS Encryted Folder - Recovery Help needed
    ... Well even if the FBI or the CID cannot decrypt this, ... The NSA can decrypt _anything_ encrypted by commercial ... encryption on a reliable basis. ... Second HDD contains all my data including My ...
  • Re: Saddam Done In By Thuraya Satellite Phone Encryption Break?
    ... > the encryption, which probably isn't difficult for the NSA. ... it is conceivable that the phone reports its location to the satellite, ... The satellite could then report the location ... British company, and the crack was the work of GCHQ, not NSA. ...
    (sci.crypt)