Re: Problem relaunching Sygate Pro in XP

From: Rambler (rambler24.remove@ic24.net)
Date: 02/24/03

From: Rambler <rambler24.remove@ic24.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:56:55 +0000

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:33:15 -0800, Don Jenkins
<bigwheeze@hotmail.net> wrote:

>Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>>>What difference does it make? The security "experts" in this newsgroup
>>>say that no matter what I do people can still get access to my files.
>>>

>> That may be true, but I don't think no "experts" told you to not to protect
>> the machine as much as possible. Nothing is hack proof, but you try to make
>> things as difficult as possible. It's more to having a machine compromised
>> then just having someone *hack* your machine.
>>
>> That link I gave you tells you the facts and you need to read it and do some
>> of the protection measures it is explaining.
>>
>> The protection starts with the O/S having the means to enable protection
>> features and XP has them.
>>
>> Everything else centers around the O/S like the AV, SWF, malware protection,
>> etc., etc. The O/S is first in the line of the defense of the machine.
>>
>> You should read the link.
>

>No, I'm not gonna go read it, I've been off on too many wild goose
>chases by people who like to claim the sky is falling. If you know
>something specific, please post it.
>
>Thanks for your time.

I hesitate to say it, but I agree with Duane - it's rather like saying
"I won't bother locking my doors and windows, because a determined
burglar will get in anyway", or "since wearing a seatbelt can't
GUARANTEE saving my life in a crash, I'll not bother to wear one at
all", or "I won't bother with an anti-virus program because I'm
unlikely to get a virus, and if I do, it can't GUARANTEE protection".
>From what I've read here and elsewhere, the XP firewall is far from
perfect, but it's a starting point. Even backing up your vital data is
no guarantee that you can recover - the backup MAY be corrupt - but if
you have any sense you still do it.

Rambler
-------------

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem relaunching Sygate Pro in XP
    ... >Duane Arnold wrote: ... >> of the protection measures it is explaining. ... GUARANTEE saving my life in a crash, I'll not bother to wear one at ... unlikely to get a virus, and if I do, it can't GUARANTEE protection". ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: html forms and spam-bots
    ... William Gill wrote: ... check the referer? ... protection on the form then they don't need to bother. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: How to tell if a firewall alert is suspicious or not
    ... On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:43:02 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote: ... > protection and not running the PFW solution on the machine, ... > ridiculous authorization questions the end-user is dealing with would be ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)