Virus/hacker question

From: Billie Ellis (nurse_ratchett@ameritech.net)
Date: 02/24/03

From: nurse_ratchett@ameritech.net (Billie Ellis)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:30:18 GMT

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so if not would you
please point me in the right direction. A couple of weeks ago, my bank
called me and said they got a list of debit cards that had been hacked
and mine was on it. They said it would have been between Feb 3rd-7th.
On the morning of Feb 8th I turned my computer on to a blue screen,
error in OE some numbers called from VXD. When I hit enter a fatal
exception screen came up and when I hit enter again, it would re boot.
I eventually re-formatted and re-installed everything on my drive (a
real pain in the butt). Several days ago I downloaded from KaZaa and 2
of the files were virus (one was Hantaner, the other Surnova), My
virus scanner got those and deleted them. My computer has not acted
right since the blue screen incident. For one thing WMP will not play
certain files (I have Xvid and Divx on my computer). Also I can't
download from WMP site the WMP 9.0. When I do download my little box
for downloading does not show the progress bar, but it does say how
many Kb or Mb have been downloaded. I have updated my virus scan and
ran it several times, but it says no virus. What does this sound like?
Could someone have hacked my computer and messed it up? Do I have a
virus? When I reformatted my drive, would that have got rid of the
problem? Sorry for so many questions, but I don't know what to do.
TIA,
Bj

Relevant Pages

  • Re: computer virus usegroups
    ... New Virus Stealing Information from Computer Users ... You can infect ... attempt to download from a Russian website. ... Internet Explorer to protect users of its Internet Explorer browsers ...
    (sci.med.diseases.lyme)
  • Re: hacktool.rootkit
    ... In addition to "what is a rootkit". ... > mode virus scanning, registry entry purging, etc.). ... Norton Antivirus reported the following: ... >> You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: AIM Send out random messages
    ... > dont want to take chances ... you want me to install the firewall (thats what ... > 5) Download ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com. ... > I downloaded the latest virus definations for intellegent updator... ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Virus/hacker question
    ... > of the files were virus, My ... > download from WMP site the WMP 9.0. ... What browser are you using? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Virus/hacker question
    ... >> of the files were virus, My ... download Norton now and going to try to install it. ... >> download from WMP site the WMP 9.0. ...
    (alt.computer.security)