Re: Printing to a computer on a different network segment

From: Orniter (bleh@bleh.com)
Date: 02/19/03

From: Orniter <bleh@bleh.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:04:48 GMT

> Have you tried to mount the printer in Windows (if that's what you are
> using)? Did you set it up in Windows printer settings as a network
> printer? Did you try a test page?

 Running on XP, but this method should work for 9x or higher. Windows
won't let you map a network printer by using an IP address (it gives a
communication error) but only through a netbios name and path to the shared
printer (for example, \\print-computer\Printer will work but \\12.86.16.23
\Printer will not). This may just be something that you can't do using the
dos utilities I've been trying to work with, and if that's the case, then
does anybody have a workaround?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: network printer is ready but error when printing
    ... a Windows Server ... printer is connected to your switch / LAN, then it's a network printer. ... between Windows and the network printer is blocked. ... the listening port for TCP/IP network printers to telnet/netcat to. ...
  • Re: How do I Rename a Printer
    ... The model for network printers in Windows 2000 and XP is different than what ... Think of it like connecting to a folder share by its UNC name (e.g. Start, ... A Windows 98 network printer is like a mapped share, ... printer on the print server and really can't live with that printer name on ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: mac internet hookup update
    ... bless us with the following wisdom: ... chose to bless us with the following ... The Windows procedure also ... (And let's not even talk about manual network printer setup in XP, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: mac internet hookup update
    ... bless us with the following wisdom: ... chose to bless us with the following ... The Windows procedure also asks a ... network printer by first telling the wizard it's a local printer.) ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: network printer is ready but error when printing
    ... And I appreciate your comments, as I wanted an affirmation of what I learned about network printer troubleshooting, so that I could apply it confidently next time in similar cases. ... between Windows and the network printer is blocked. ... the listening port for TCP/IP network printers to telnet/netcat to. ... Canon driver, then use PCLReader / PostScript viewer to view ...