Re: Password cracking algorithms in Java

From: Bill Unruh (
Date: 02/17/03

From: (Bill Unruh)
Date: 17 Feb 2003 19:37:42 GMT (cmh) writes:

]As part of one of our modules at Uni, we have to write our own
]password cracking algorithms in Java (using either brute-force or the
]dictionary attack) in order to crack passwords that are stored in a
]text file.

]We then have to compare the performance of our algorithm with the
]performance of already existing algorithms. My problem is that I
]cannot find any algorithms that can crack encrypted passwords stored
]in a text file.

]Could anyone point me to any sites that have such algorithms, they
]would preferable be in C++ or Java but it's not necessary.

jack the ripper
are a couple
(For Unix 8 character crypt(3) passwords.)