Re: Password cracking algorithms in Java

From: Bill Unruh (unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 02/17/03

From: unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh)
Date: 17 Feb 2003 19:37:42 GMT

chrishern@hotmail.com (cmh) writes:

]Hi,

]As part of one of our modules at Uni, we have to write our own
]password cracking algorithms in Java (using either brute-force or the
]dictionary attack) in order to crack passwords that are stored in a
]text file.

]We then have to compare the performance of our algorithm with the
]performance of already existing algorithms. My problem is that I
]cannot find any algorithms that can crack encrypted passwords stored
]in a text file.

]Could anyone point me to any sites that have such algorithms, they
]would preferable be in C++ or Java but it's not necessary.

crack
jack the ripper
are a couple
(For Unix 8 character crypt(3) passwords.)

Relevant Pages

  • Password cracking algorithms in Java
    ... performance of already existing algorithms. ... cannot find any algorithms that can crack encrypted passwords stored ... would preferable be in C++ or Java but it's not necessary. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Password algorithms
    ... >Does anyone know any good algorithms for choosing good passwords. ... oiMXrRD1lxo= ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Values to use for a salt?
    ... their passwords is weak security (for authentication, encryption, ... thinking encryption at a higher ... it will come a time when Unicode and salt and new ... better algorithms will be used, but I may not live until then. ...
    (SecProg)
  • Re: Password cracking algorithms in Java
    ... > jack the ripper ... >]dictionary attack) in order to crack passwords that are stored in a ... >]performance of already existing algorithms. ... >]cannot find any algorithms that can crack encrypted passwords stored ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Encryption/Decryption on both Java and Delphi
    ... >>results from both Delphi and Java code - the cipher strength is not that ... These are well defined algorithms. ... Or do you need to be able to read the passwords again with a key? ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)