Re: A 'clean' OS?

From: To[r+]onado (fwtis_wbmhoax@pathfinder.gr)
Date: 02/17/03

From: "To[r+]onado" <fwtis_wbmhoax@pathfinder.gr>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:51:44 +0200

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:09:12 +0000 somewhere in Hollow Earth, Passerby
<passerby@thisng> pulled an arrow from the quiver and loaded up the bow
:

[snip]
>I've read that Linux is less devious, but one needs to be some
>kind of geek to work it :)

You would be amazed to see how user friendly Linux can be :)
There is practically nothing you can do in Windows that you can't make
it in Linux in a more productive way. All system/security settings can
be configured/modified through panels and GUI's similar to those that
are being used in Windows. Of course, some things require more
attention, but that's because they are more effective ;)

I've been using Windows less and less each day since I installed Linux
in my machine, and frankly, the only reason that they occupy space in my
HD is because I operate Win2k in my work and I would like to have the
actual OS in home in case I have to do a little homework, instead of
some kind of emulation.

>After much thought, I ordered Mandrake Standard from mandrake.com,
>only to be told that they couldn't supply me with this product! So much
>for Linux...

Mandrake is not the only distro available, even though it is the
user-friendliest. You can also try RedHat, Debian or Suse if you're more
of a desktop type, or Slackware, if you don't mind getting your feet a
bit wet ;)

--
Q: Why didn't Intel call the Pentium the 586?
A: Because they added 486 and 100 on the first Pentium and got

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... working knowledge of Indian programmers DNA, nor of their intuitive Java ... > So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... another chapter in the Windows story, and the Microsoft marketing machine is ... > application opens, Check the about, it says Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • FTP DOWNLOAD! More than 6500 CRACKED SOFTWARE(CAD,CAE,CAM,ED
    ... Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005 ... DASSAULT SYSTEMES CAA ENOVIA LCA V5R13 ... ALTAIR.OPTISTRUCT V5.1 for LINUX ... ANSYS V8.0 FOR WINDOWS ...
  • Linux for Senior Citizens
    ... Linux for Senior Citizens ... For such people, I believe, Windows really is a better option: ... The kernel manages all the hardware and also looks after all running ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • Re: [SLE] Developing a Real Time Data System
    ... The KBasic License is valid for both operating systems: Windows and Linux. ... Modern BASIC language ... chapters learning about the programming language. ...
    (SuSE)