Re: Confused newbie

From: Thund3rstruck (thund3rstruck_n0i@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/14/03

From: thund3rstruck_n0i@hotmail.com (Thund3rstruck)
Date: 14 Feb 2003 03:54:01 -0800

blu <blumagic66@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<3E4C7E4C.9000004@netscape.net>...
> Hi All,
>
> New to home networking and security and would like to
> understand what I think is occurring on my machines.
> I have set-up a home network with windows 98,xp and linux
> machines. I have a linksys router set up also to share my
> broadband connection. The grc.com site says that my machines
> are protected and my ports dont exist and are in stealth mode.
> When I use the netstat command, "netstat -an" I see numerous ports
> listening and some have established connections to ip's/ports. The
> grc site is connecting to my linksys, so it cant see my computers.
> I dont understand how and why these ports are listening and establishing
> connections without zone alarm catching them.

  I want to start off by saying that I am by no means an expert.

  You will see some ports listening, and since you just did your
grc.com test and probably had your browser open at the time of the
netstat -an, you might see a couple connected. Try this. If you reboot
your computer, then immediately do that netstat -an after bootup,
you'll see a lot less. <G> Standard netbios and such. However, with a
firewall in place, those are protected. You could do a 'netstat -an >
c:\port.log

  What that does is the standard netstat -an but it redirects it (">"
is redirect) to a text file. Once you have the file, you can take out
your IP addy for security and then post the results here for a better
opinion...

> How do I determine which ports should be open and which are unnecessary?
> How do I close ports in windows xp?
> Can I configure zone alarm/blackice to stop connections or close these
> open ports?
>
> I thank everyone for any and all tips and hints to solutions
> to these issues.

  Oh, btw? I noticed Tracker replied to this. She makes me look like a
guru. <G>

                     NOI

Relevant Pages

  • Confused newbie
    ... understand what I think is occurring on my machines. ... When I use the netstat command, "netstat -an" I see numerous ports ... listening and some have established connections to ip's/ports. ... How do I close ports in windows xp? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Confused newbie
    ... > understand what I think is occurring on my machines. ... > are protected and my ports dont exist and are in stealth mode. ... > listening and some have established connections to ip's/ports. ... When you view a webpage, for example, you send a request to the server on ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Newbie Home Network/ADSL Router query.
    ... The machines connect to the router via DHCP using ... > Connections' my 'Local Area Connection' is marked as firewalled. ... All ports are closed on the router by default and the ports will only open ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Confused newbie
    ... > New to home networking and security and would like to ... > understand what I think is occurring on my machines. ... If your computer is already hacked/owned GRC will show no open ports. ... > listening and some have established connections to ip's/ports. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Gnome toolbar
    ... without posing any risk to other machines, ... I don't need to install ... > anything other than ssh available, and that only accepts connections from ... I gave it the highest security RH 7.1 allowed ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)