Re: gotomypc reasonably safe to use?

From: Joe (jcutcher@camcomp.com)
Date: 02/05/03

From: "Joe" <jcutcher@camcomp.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:17:49 GMT

First thing, sending anything through someone else's sight is compromising
your data. Packet sniffing is easy enough without your knowledge or
permission much more if you are routing your data through their hardware and
software.

"Jim Watt" <jimwatt@aol.no.way> wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:54:13 -0500, Louise <louise2002@nyc.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm running XP, a Linksys router, a cable modem and Norton Internet
> >Security.
> >
> >I really need a way to access my computer from just about anywhere, but
> >only once in a while (perhaps once a week).
> >
> >I've read some reviews of gotomypc which say it is "safe" and I'm
> >quoting the explanation from their website below:
> >
> >"Firewall Friendly
> >Because the GoToMyPC software on the remote computer initiates an
> >outgoing connection, the technology works with your existing firewall
> >and does not require special configuration. Nor does it compromise the
> >integrity of your firewall. "
> >
> >"Secure
> >State-of-the art security features include an SSL-encrypted Web site and
> >end-to-end AES 128-bit encryption of the data stream and chat as well as
> >keyboard and mouse input; multiple passwords, including an access code
> >that resides on the host computer and is never transmitted or stored on
> >GoToMyPC servers; and notification when the PC is accessed. Additional
> >features include lockout protection, inactivity timeout and the ability
> >to lock the host keyboard and mouse and to blank the host screen."
> >
> >It works beautifully.
> >
> >However, I would like some opinions as to whether, by using it, I'm
> >leaving my computer open to a disastrous intrusion of one kind or
> >another.
> >
> >TIA
> >
> >Louise
>
> PC anywhere works well and does not require using a proprietary
> website to access your machine. It only takes a few seconds to
> map the ports in your router. Its $180 list one time purchase for
> the client & server.
>
> WinVNC is freeware, not as fast and pretty as the Symantec
> product, but multi platform and easy enough to set up.
>
> $20 per month for gotomypc ? I don't think so.
>

> --
> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Relevant Pages

  • gotomypc reasonably safe to use?
    ... I've read some reviews of gotomypc which say it is "safe" and I'm ... "Firewall Friendly ... that resides on the host computer and is never transmitted or stored on ... to lock the host keyboard and mouse and to blank the host screen." ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: gotomypc reasonably safe to use?
    ... >I'm running XP, a Linksys router, a cable modem and Norton Internet ... >I've read some reviews of gotomypc which say it is "safe" and I'm ... the technology works with your existing firewall ... >that resides on the host computer and is never transmitted or stored on ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: dns on firewall
    ... > The reason for worrying about the firewall itself being compromised, ... compromising the firewall means direct access to the ... private network behind it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: dns on firewall
    ... >> The reason for worrying about the firewall itself being compromised, ... compromising the firewall means direct access to the ... > private network behind it. ... to attack. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Sam Spade Says Personal Firewalls are Snake Oil
    ... A 'real' firewall provides in-depth defense. ... then the attacker still has to attack the target system itself, ... A 'personal firewall' can't do that. ... equivalent to compromising the protected system. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)