XP Firewall and Network

From: 'Old Bloke' (bunsen@talk21.com)
Date: 02/03/03

From: 'Old Bloke' <bunsen@talk21.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:33:58 +0000

Small home network, two machines, one Win98 and the other WinME/XP
with ZoneAlarm FW on both.

A relative recently upgraded from WinME to XP and although most of the
settings have been retained there are a few quirks that I am unsure
about.

For some reason the XP machine will not see or view the network unless
the firewall ZoneAlarm is running.

The logic escapes me, I could imagine the FW preventing access but the
other way round appears illogical.

Prior to the upgrade ZoneAlarm was set to communicate with the other
machine.

Has XP got some auto security settings that are over ridden if a FW is
present?

Geoff Lane

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Zonealarm Issues
    ... I looked at the thread, but unfortunately, I'm using the free Zonealarm, ... Syagte Home Network, ... > regarding the use of Sygate Home Network and Sygates personal Firewall. ... >> can browse the internet with no problems from my networked computer. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Uninstalling ZoneAlarm / Problems Upgrading ZoneAlarm
    ... I'm using ZoneAlarm 3.1.291, which is not the latest version. ... but I can't seem to upgrade. ... The upgrade process ... remove ZA from the Add/Remove Programs menu, the uninstall process freezes on ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Block outgoing traffic
    ... I've recently set up a router on my home network, ... I also run Zonealarm as I like the ability to monitor and stop ... Zonealarm has on my internet speed and network overall. ... intrusive way to monitor outgoing internet traffic and stop pop up/pop under ...
  • Re: Unable to Utilize CHKDSK
    ... Do you have ZoneAlarm installed and did you recently upgrade it to ... Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access" Error Message When Chkdsk Runs at Startup ... Chkdsk in Read-Only Mode Does Not Detect Corruption on NTFS Volume ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: how to use RDP if only port 80 is free
    ... I would strongly advise disabling zonealarm completely ... About Zonealarm, I can say that when I first set up my home network, even ... people on this group simply being unable to make an rdp connection to their ... with a linksys router and the sys.adm. ...