Disable NetBios over TCP/IP??

From: Netmasker (netmasker@yahoo.com)
Date: 01/31/03

From: netmasker@yahoo.com (Netmasker)
Date: 31 Jan 2003 13:30:21 -0800

My windows 2000 SP3 server is an Active Directory/DNS/proxy/file/print/mail
server (but it does not run WINS) for my LAN ONLY. It has a private IP that
is translated to a static internet IP from a router that gives access to the
internet.
With the "Enable NetBios over TCP/IP" selected my server broadcasts all of
its shares to the internet, as I noticed when I scanned my server with
'grc.com' scan tool.
Of course I can use (and I use) a firewall to protect my netbios open ports
but apart from the firewall what else can I do to prevent internet invaders
from seeing my shares?
How expedient is it to "Disable NetBios over TCP/IP"? Will it affect my LAN
operation in some way??

TIA

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Firewall Rule Set not allowing access to DNS servers?
    ... > My LAN is configured with static IP addresses, ... > I have full connectivity with the internet from every machine on my ... > # Allow out access to my ISP's Domain name server. ... > # Interrogate packets originating from the public internet ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: www.microsoft.com.mydomain.com
    ... Personal i would not image a remote machine via internet. ... You can check out Dual/Multi band routers, they are able to connect 2 or more ADSL lines and provide one interface to the LAN, either load balanced or traffic specific configured. ... Our TS farm in the moment consist's of 7 Terminal servers. ... Except the server backbone all is working with 100Mbit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: www.microsoft.com.mydomain.com
    ... Personal i would not image a remote machine via internet. ... You can check out Dual/Multi band routers, they are able to connect 2 or more ADSL lines and provide one interface to the LAN, either load balanced or traffic specific configured. ... Our TS farm in the moment consist's of 7 Terminal servers. ... Except the server backbone all is working with 100Mbit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • Re: MSSQL Server Gateway
    ... I personaly don't think it's possible to do this with ISA and/or Proxy ... Server but I was told otherwise and just try to figure out if I'm wrong ... - Client in private LAN wants data from SQL Server DB in secure private ... to the other LAN Segment but have a "nat relationship" to the Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • ISA configuration
    ... configured with a Proxy configuration pointing to your ... Server on port 8080. ... all destinations for the Backoffice Internet Users group. ... pointing to the primary LAN address by opening your FW ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)