Re: Is Your Windows System Hacked or Owned

From: Dowap (dowap@petitmorte.net)
Date: 01/31/03

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:19:12 -0500
From: Dowap <dowap@petitmorte.net>

In article <b177251.0301302319.7c9db29c@posting.google.com>, snailmail
<snailmail222000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There are a number of ways to tell if your Windows system is hacked.
> IF YOUR THE GENERAL AVERAGE INTERNET USER, NOT RUNNING ANY FTP, PROXY,
> NNTP, SMTP SERVER AND USING ONE ISP AND A MODEM, HERE ARE A FEW TIPS.
>
> If your on a Windows Platform, select Start, Settings, Control
> Panel, Folder Options, View and make sure you select and have a
> dot in the circle where it says Show Hidden Files and Folders.
>
> Select Start, Control Panel, Network, and if you see two
> AOL adapters, two TCP/IP, two dial-up adapters, two Virtual Private
> Network adapters your computer has what hackers install called a
> Virtual Private Network, BEWARE!
>
> If you find your system re-boots itself from time to time, this
> is another sign that an Administrator (hacker) has to update your
> hacked system.
>
> Select Start, type regedit, select Registry, Export Registry, and in
> the box type say 3-12-02.txt and say ok. Then open this file with
> a text editor or word doc and you might be shocked to find what
> really is installed on your system. Check the bottom of this file,
> have found the hackers love to install a bunch of their crap here.
>
> What these hackers do is disable your anti-virus program using Trojan
> Horses, which makes checking for viruses or trojans useless. If
> running a software firewall, the hackers install another version of
> what your running
> and program it so you aren't able to see their activities.
>
> Once these factors take into play, the best bet to keep the hackers
> out of your system is to perform the below.
>
> My suggestion would be to keep the hard drive (send to the FBI, minus
> your
> personal files) or make a copy of your entire hard drive. This way if
> the hackers have destroyed other Systems, Networks or Servers using
> your computer, at least you have evidence if the FBI ever come knock
> on your door. The Trackers would like a copy, but that's another story
> in itself.
>
> You want to format the hard drive, install from cd-rom only and
> get yourself a free port scanner. Before you go online, port scan
> your
> own computer to check for any open ports, Backdoors, Trojan Horses and
> Viruses.
> Dis-able any Windows services your not using including Windows
> file and print sharing, install an anti-virus and firewall
> application.
> This is just for starters. You also need to secure your browser and
> email application.
>
> Your system can also be running a Proxy Server, NNTP Server, SMTP
> Server,
> Web Server, SQL Server a Virtual Private Network and more then likely
> has
> a "Root Kit(s)" installed. All these factors need to be taken into
> consideration.
>
> Tracker

Hey! WTF? This didn't work for me!

--
We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
Where  you want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is Your Windows System Hacked or Owned
    ... > There are a number of ways to tell if your Windows system is hacked. ... > NNTP, SMTP SERVER AND USING ONE ISP AND A MODEM, HERE ARE A FEW TIPS. ... > have found the hackers love to install a bunch of their crap here. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Securing Your Computer
    ... There are a number of ways to tell if your Windows system is hacked. ... NNTP, SMTP SERVER AND USING ONE ISP AND A MODEM, HERE ARE A FEW TIPS. ... have found the hackers love to install a bunch of their crap here. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Hacked
    ... There are a number of ways to tell if your Windows system is hacked. ... NNTP, SMTP SERVER AND USING ONE ISP AND A MODEM, HERE ARE A FEW TIPS. ... have found the hackers love to install a bunch of their crap here. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Is your system Hacked/Owned