Re: What is ARP

From: Martin Spencer (spencer@ntlworld.nodomain.com)
Date: 01/31/03

From: "Martin Spencer" <spencer@ntlworld.nodomain.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:04:33 -0000

"Pierre Nilsson" <pina01@student.bth.se> wrote in message news:QCs_9.8926$LY2.526460@newsc.telia.net...

[snip]

> Hi!
>
> ARP stands for Address resolution protocol and is used for translating
> MAC-address to IP-address. The message you posted probably means that an
> ARP-request was sent but then timed out because no answer was recieved. I
> dont have any clue about the reason for this. Please correct me anyone if I
> am wrong :-)
>
> /Pierre
> --
> *******************************
> Pierre Nilsson
> pina01@student.bth.se
> *******************************

I should have put the subject to What is ARP doing, but i forgot to type the word *doing* - senile dementia setting in i think. My appologies.

You are quiet right though Pierre - but i am intriqued whether these packets are from an internal source - ie. disconnected LAN or if its my ISP trying to get intouch becuase i have nobbled something that i shouldn't have done in the firewall. Is it possiple to spoof 0.0.0.0 as an origin of the packet?

Appreciate the quick response though Pierre

Martin

---

  • Re: Aging implementation
    ... ARP timers are usually adjustable by the admin with an arp ... VLAN you are running HSRP. ... If switch A is the HSRP router, ... mac-address-table, ensuring that the mac-address is known and keeping ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: MSCS - arp cache/mac-address problems
    ... On some clients I get problems when I failover one group with Virtual IP ... Checking the ARP table on the ... Checking the arp cache shows that it has reverted to the same mac-address ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)
  • Re: MSCS - arp cache/mac-address problems
    ... On some clients I get problems when I failover one group with Virtual IP ... I make a arp -d to clear the cache then I ping again. ... Checking the arp cache shows that it has reverted to the same mac-address ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)
  • Re: How to find the ip of a mac-address
    ... I've got the mac-address of desktop. ... -a" to dump your arp table and look for that max address. ... Pinging the broadcast address might work, though, and ...
    (Fedora)