Java - JRE, SDK Java Web Start

How does everyone feel about java being installed by vendors in a propriety path i.e. program files\mysoftware\bin\jre\1.4.0\ and never patching it.

I ran an enterprise scan to looking for javaws.exe and found it in 175 unique paths. Should they be held accountable for the patching of java when they install it?

I had one vendor who installed java 1.3 and 1.4, and when I ask them about it. There statement was ?you don?t have the modules that require those versions you can just delete them?

How does everyone patch Java that is not installed in its default location?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Java - JRE, SDK Java Web Start
    ... vendors in a propriety path i.e. program ... held accountable for the patching of java when they ... it doesn't matter whether you install in your ... All that matters is you patch it, ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Page Cannot be Displayed
    ... Script Debugging Problem ... Where to get the JAVA VM ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... It may, however, be Shockwave Flash related, try the following: ...
  • Re: Blaze Find Tool Bar
    ... Kathleen - Here's some help about installing/reinstalling a Java VM: ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... >> programs report as spyware. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: If i download latest OE6 updates, will it update OE also ?
    ... Script Debugging Problem ... Where to get the JAVA VM ... Sun also offers an automatic download and install of the 1.4 Java plug-in ... It may, however, be Shockwave Flash related, try the following: ...
  • Re: Microsoft websites screw up IE6(SP2)
    ... I won't get involved in the horrible java mess between MS and Sun. Let them ... > At this point I'm not sure if I agree that the fault lies with SP2. ... > websites compatible with Windows XP Home, which is what I'm running, ... >> JVM for IE (in install), or after install via the JavaPlugin control ...