cobol language vulnerabilities

From: Kevin Partridge (kgp_at_nethere.com)
Date: 04/23/04

    To: vuln-dev@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:03:16 -0400

    Hello all.

    I'm wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right
    direction. I'm doing a paper on language issues in secure coding. A lot
    has been written covering C/C++. And java gets good coverage for its
    sandboxing. Almost no coverage of other languages exists out there. I've
    found some good information on Ada (totally by accident). But I'd like
    to know where I could start with Cobol. I've already gotten the
    standard.

    I plan to try and implement some exploitable C code via Cobol. To make
    educated choices on what exploits to try I need to know a lot more about
    Cobol. I have no experience in the language but I do have some
    knowledgeable veterans at my disposal for coding assistance. They are
    not security gurus, however.

    Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Kevin

    • Re: Java compatibility issues (WAS: MF having issues?)
      ... language it can do most of what C, C++, and Java can do. ... 2002 COBOL standard addresses that, but having a standard is a far ... Some flavours do have libraries. ... On the IBM mainframe we have Language Environment but it does ...
      (comp.lang.cobol)
    • Re: COBOLs Influence on C
      ... Cobol is the only language that has this problem. ... sure that the libraries containing ANYTHING that might be called are on ... And that is one reason why installations have Local Standards... ...
      (comp.lang.cobol)
    • Re: Java is becoming the new Cobol
      ... """If you're a Java developer, now's the time to invest in new ... It is even truer for COBOL developers. ... The question then is: Is Java just another fad language in the range: ... Sometimes it appears they'll use whatever the Fad Language Of The Month Club sent last ...
      (comp.lang.cobol)
    • Re: Wang COBOL alive and well as Wang VS makes a comeback
      ... I fought to the last to keep COBOL at least peripherally in the ... will be the next language du jour... ... This contributes to the stability of programming efforts ... level of COBOL to another can be as big a deal as migrating across platforms ...
      (comp.lang.cobol)
    • Re: Is Cobol Dead? <190937416 5303721544.634709nocannedmeat.casey.obrien.r-gmail.com@news.gigane
      ... Perhaps Anonymous is referring to the "new envelope" which COBOL was never ... complete redevelopment in a new language. ... Ada is one to look at then. ... assuming the programmer bothered to analyse it. ...
      (comp.lang.cobol)