Re: Obfuscated shellcode

From: Aaron Turner (aturner_at_pobox.com)
Date: 02/01/04

    Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 12:29:49 -0800
    To: Don Parker <dparker@rigelksecurity.com>

    Don,

    While most IDS's will detect a NOOP sled, any IDS worth it's salt which has
    a signature for an exploit won't rely on it. Rather it will use something
    unique to the exploit which can't (at least easily) changed to avoid
    detection.

    Also, in my experiance most corporations update their signatures about as
    often as feasible (a combination of how often the IDS vendor updates the
    signatures and how easy it is to push the update to the sensors). Any
    organization which isn't using the latest signature set is wasting their
    effort and $$$. Ie, if you have to carefully manage your signature set
    and delay updating your sensors because things might horribly break
    without a way to manage that risk, then you should find another IDS
    vendor.

    --
    Aaron Turner <aturner at pobox.com|synfin.net>  http://synfin.net/
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin