RE: Win32hlp exploit for : ":LINK overflow"

From: Rob Shein (shoten@starpower.net)
Date: 03/11/03

    From: "Rob Shein" <shoten@starpower.net>
    To: "'descript'" <descript@sv98.s0h.cc>, <vuln-dev@securityfocus.com>, <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 08:59:14 -0500

    I'm not entirely sure I get how serious this is. If I understand correctly,
    you're modifying a .cnt file so that when it's called (by using it's
    corresponding .hlp file) it will go out and download/execute a program from
    a predetermined site. When you're at the stage where you can modify files
    on the target machine, how much of a difference does it make to be able to
    get a .cnt file to do your bidding, as opposed to any executable that could
    have another executable bound to it, for example? Perhaps I'm missing
    something...

      ... But the .cnt file isn't directly executable; it gets called from the .hlp ... > download or open .exe's due to viruses, ... > modify files on the target machine, ... >> the arbitrary code who can download and execute a trojan ...
      (Vuln-Dev)
    • RE: Win32hlp exploit for : ":LINK overflow"
      ... YOU CANNOT RUN A .CNT FILE. ... > download or open .exe's due to viruses, ... > modify files on the target machine, ... >> the arbitrary code who can download and execute a trojan ...
      (Vuln-Dev)