Regarding F-Prot for Linux

From: F-Prot Antivirus Technical Support (support@f-prot.com)
Date: 02/26/03

    Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:44:06 +0000
    To: vuln-dev@securityfocus.com
    From: F-Prot Antivirus Technical Support <support@f-prot.com>

    Dear Sir or Madam:

    Vulnerability reported in F-Prot" Antivirus for Linux fixed

    in the commandline scanner in F-Prot Antivirus for Linux and FreeBSD.

    FRISK Software International would like to emphasize that the problem has
    been resolved. Updated packages are available for download now.

    The problem was in insufficient bounds checking on the filename argument,
    when writing out the scan report in the case of non-existing file. This
    programming error does not constitute a security threat.

    Certain applications could however constitute a security threat by their
    usage of F-Prot" Antivirus.

    For example administrators might have setup the tool to be run as
    administrator without regard to the individual user's authority (suid
    root), in which case it would constitute a privilege elevation problem.

    However, default installations and use of F-Prot" Antivirus with
    recommended third-party tools are not vulnerable. Neither is the daemon
    version of F-Prot Antivirus of Linux and FreeBSD.

    Also, the advisory stated that the latest available version of F-Prot
    Antivirus for Linux and FreeBSD was version 3.12b. This is wrong. The
    latest available version of F-Prot Antivirus for Linux and FreeBSD is
    version 3.12d, available since 20th january 2003. Release number 1 of the
    3.12d RPM and Debian packages, and the latest tarballs have been patched.

    We recommend that usere running an older version of F-Prot" Antivirus for
    Linux update their program by visiting our
    <http://subscription.f-prot.com/download.html>updates center.

    Best regards,
    Arnar Thor Stefansson
    F-Prot Antivirus Tech Support

    support@f-prot.com
    http://www.f-prot.com
    Tel: +354 540-7400
    Fax: +354 540-7401

    When replying, please copy your entire previous
    message/thread.

    Use the reply function of your e-mail program in
    order to keep the same subject of our response
    (including the tracking number). Otherwise your
    message may be delayed.

    If you are interested in receiving an e-mail
    notice when updates and new versions are released
    then you can subscribe at http://alerts.f-prot.com

    Relevant Pages