GIFs Good, Flash Executable Bad [Was: Plain text files in internet explorer]

From: Roland Postle (mail@blazde.co.uk)
Date: 09/02/02

From: "Roland Postle" <mail@blazde.co.uk>
To: "vuln-dev@securityfocus.com" <vuln-dev@securityfocus.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 18:54:06 +0100

> GIFs can't exploit your
> system. Flash files can, just like any executable.

This myth that static data files such as gifs, jpegs and zip files
/can't/ exploit your system really gets to me. Virus scanners continue
to scan only 'active' content, but some applications are in such
widespread use now that it's only a matter of time before a
vulnerability in say, Winzip's file handling, is exploited in a virus
that infects .zip files. Or a vulnerability in IE's jpeg module that
allows jpegs to carry viruses. It's not 'just like any executable', but
it's not automatically safe either.

- Blazde

Relevant Pages

  • Re: GIFs Good, Flash Executable Bad [Was: Plain text files in internet explorer]
    ... > This myth that static data files such as gifs, ... > vulnerability in say, Winzip's file handling, is exploited in a virus ... > allows jpegs to carry viruses. ... There have been mp3s that exploited a buffer overflow in mp3 tag parsing. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Problem publishing - jpeg pictures not converting to html
    ... Dotster 'sees' all gifs and jpegs; ... I am using Firezilla to upload my website as an ftp to the hosting site ... The index file is in full html, ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • RE: Problem publishing - jpeg pictures not converting to html
    ... Using Publisher 2007. ... Dotster 'sees' all gifs and jpegs; ... BTW -- have talked to Dotster 5 times now. ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: Draw to Jpeg.
    ... Leave JPEGs for photos. ... I have kept finding it a problem when converting graphs into GIFs. ... background colour isn't even a 'near miss' for what I'd intended. ... Armstrong Audio http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/armstrong.html ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: Netfetch images
    ... default 'double-click' viewer for GIFs and JPEGs? ... Copy that line into an obey file, ... and hopefully any JPEGs will go to Netsurf. ... You could probably repeat this with a suitable line for GIFs etc. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)