Re: Java and buffer overflows

From: Edsel Adap (edsel@adap.org)
Date: 06/26/02

Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:15:51 -0400
From: Edsel Adap <edsel@adap.org>
To: Rafael Anschau <rhanscha@terra.com.br>

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 08:26:35PM -0300, Rafael Anschau wrote:
> I heard thatt java is invulnerable to bofs
> Has anyone succefully exploited a bof in java ?

While a java program itself may not be vulnerable to buffer
overflows, the jvm itself may be.

--
Edsel Adap
edsel@adap.org

"Netscape is an application which grows to fill all available memory." - me

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Java and buffer overflows
    ... Java is presumably immune to bofs, due to the VM's boundchecking mechanisms. ... > Please notice that buffer overflow is only one way of software exploitation. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Java and buffer overflows
    ... Java performs boundary checking, which C doesn`t. ... it doesn`t mean that Java is much safer. ... Popeye ... > I heard thatt java is invulnerable to bofs ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Problem With Crypt::CBC
    ... is later read in by a Java program. ... continue using the passwords and vectors I'm using (both 8 bytes, ... use the hash, then the Java program on the other end will not be able to ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: deadlock and thread
    ... i have "main" java program usually called as midlet, ... other java programs which is called by the main program to perform ... several task such as sending and receiving sms etc. ... As near as I can tell, in a MIDlet you have access to the same Thread class available in regular Java apps. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: I need to write Simple JAVA program to read and write from USB serial to use it with Arduino
    ... I’m trying to write simple JAVA program that could send command to ... Arduino board or read output from Arduino. ... ways to build a bridge between the Java program and the serial port. ... and that has only been compiled & tested under Linux. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)