Re: Verizon Call Intercept

From: Steven J. Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Date: 05/31/02

Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:26:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu

On Wed, 29 May 2002 Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 28 May 2002 16:59:58 PDT, Kenneth Williams <ken@kwilliams.org> said:
>
> > The pin on my service is at least 10 digits in fact they recommend assigning
> > the pin as the callers real phone number so it is easy to recognize
>
> How the <expletive> are we supposed to teach users not to use their userid as
> their passsword when the telcos are offering this helpful advice?

I'd just remind them that the worst that happens if someone figures out
their Privacy Manage password is that the call gets pushed through. A lot
worse things can happen with a security breach on an Internet servers. I
explain this to my customers, and 99% of them understand it, and I don't
want the other 1% as customers anyhow.

--
Steve Sobol, CTO (Server Guru, Network Janitor and Head Geek)
JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET   http://JustThe.net

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Stern Pinball: This just in
    ... You are able to get an accurate measure of what your customers like ... you put driving games there. ... what a person's favorite pin to be built would be. ... If the pins were hauling in money at one time, ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Chip & Pin - fun and games
    ... were tampered with in Clarks Shoe Shop at Stanstead Airport: ... The point of chip and pin was to transfer responsibility of fraud from the banks to their customers. ... In the case of an isolated fraud it will be next to impossible for the customer to prove that he didn't enter the PIN or compromise the PIN. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Totally OT:Hackgaye Theyll all Walk
    ... The real crooks though are the telecoms companies who knowingly provided ... failed in their duty of care towards customers personal and private data ... Hardly the fault of the telecom providers. ... This is like a bank setting your ATM card PIN to ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: CH4: the truth about female desire
    ... in regards to asking questions (cashback/store card etc) on ... have a store card or if they want cashback then I've received an ear ... In regards to asking customers if they want a hand with their packing, ... the concept of chip and pin. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: chip/PIN scam at Shell
    ... > Didn't take long for a major scam to emerge. ... > petrol stations after more than #1m was siphoned out of customers' ... but I noticed that Marks and Spencer in Watford have security cameras immediately above the checkouts - just in the right place to be able to watch a PIN number being typed in. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)