Re: OT? Are chroots immune to buffer overflows?

From: jove@gaza.halo.nu
Date: 05/22/02

Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:21:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: <jove@gaza.halo.nu>
To: Andreas Ferber <aferber@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>

There has also been shellcode which will listen on a port, and accept data
which it will then execute as shell code thus nullifying the need to have
more buffer space then what is neccessary to execve /bin/sh.

Cheers,
-Jove

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Andreas Ferber wrote:

> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:48:16PM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> >
> > Most buffer overflows I've seen attempt to infiltrate the system enough to
> > run /bin/sh. In chroot'ed environments, /bin/sh doesn't (shouldn't!) exist -
> > so they fail.
> >
> > Is it as simple as that? As 99.999% of the system binaries aren't available
> > in the jail, can a buffer overflow ever work?
>
> The buffer overflow still works as expected (the bug is in the daemon,
> not in /bin/sh), though the shellcode used in most precooked exploits
> doesn't work. If the buffer is large enough so that the attacker can
> place more code than just an exec("/bin/sh") into it, he can still do
> all nasty things inside the bounds of the jail (e.g. uploading his own
> shell and executing that one ;-)
>
> Andreas
> --
> Andreas Ferber - dev/consulting GmbH - Bielefeld, FRG
> +49 521 1365800 - af@devcon.net - www.devcon.net

Relevant Pages

  • [NEWS] Multiple Vulnerabilities in Oracle Database Server (40 Issues)
    ... Multiple buffer overflow and denial of service vulnerabilities exist ... DBMS_REPCAT_INSTANTIATE package ... To reproduce the overflow, execute the next PL/SQL: ... Oracle database user can exploit this vulnerability. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Switch Off Multiple Vulnerabilities
    ... Stack-based Buffer Overflow ... execute arbitrary code on the remote system - possibly with SYSTEM ... cause the server to execute a specially crafted request which will trigger ... vulnerability before such code is made public, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [VulnWatch] Switch Off Multiple Vulnerabilities
    ... Stack-based Buffer Overflow ... execute arbitrary code on the remote system - possibly with SYSTEM ... cause the server to execute a specially crafted request which will trigger ... vulnerability before such code is made public, ...
    (VulnWatch)
  • Re: SEPKILL /im SMC.EXE /f
    ... ::Save the following as a batch file and execute it. ... As I have said at bugtrax as well, I am not sure if the buffer overflow has happened or averted but its all very interesting. ... can't reproduce on my test systems or requires administrator privileges ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: [2.7 "thoughts"] V0.3
    ... binary was executed (even through a buffer overflow), ... >> execute backdoor binaries because they would not be signed with a trusted ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)