Re: ps under FreeBSD

From: Andrew Turner (zombie@i4free.co.nz)
Date: 05/19/02

From: "Andrew Turner" <zombie@i4free.co.nz>
To: vuln-dev@securityfocus.com
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 17:56:34 +1200

On 18 May 2002 at 18:57, Jakub Filonik wrote:

> Hi,
> I was playing with ps on FreeBSD with kern.ps_showallprocs=0 and I was
> surprised when I have seen that I may see info about running process, if I
> know it's ID

kern.ps_showallprocs only disables ps showing all processes.
For example, try running "ps -ax" with kern.ps_showallprocs=0 and, as
a user, you only get prosesses you own.

I'm havn't touched the kernel in any way this is just my
understanding of how this works from the name and my own testing.

> I think it may be seen as bug. What do You think?

No see above

Andrew Turner

A much wittier reply came to mind immediately
after I clicked the 'Send' button.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ps under FreeBSD
    ... On Saturday 18 May 2002 18:57, Jakub Filonik wrote: ... > I was playing with ps on FreeBSD with kern.ps_showallprocs=0 and I was ... The following patch seems to fix the problem(for freebsd 4.5): ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: ps under FreeBSD
    ... On Saturday 18 May 2002 20:40, Jakub Filonik wrote: ... > I was playing with ps on FreeBSD with kern.ps_showallprocs=0 and I was ... The following patch seems to fix the problem(for freebsd 4.5): ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • ps under FreeBSD
    ... I was playing with ps on FreeBSD with kern.ps_showallprocs=0 and I was ... surprised when I have seen that I may see info about running process, ... USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TT STAT STARTED TIME COMMAND ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • How to get the user time of another running process on FreeBSD?
    ... I would like to know how I can get the user time of another running process on FreeBSD? ... Pierre-Luc Drouin ...
    (freebsd-questions)