Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: zeno (bugtraq@cgisecurity.net)
Date: 05/08/02

From: zeno <bugtraq@cgisecurity.net>
To: jsbloom@adelphia.net (unprivileged user)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:33:17 -0400 (EDT)

> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 17:06, zeno wrote:
> > Here is an idea.
> >
> > Perhaps make windows do updates every 5 minutes in default install. Problem
> > solved.
> >

> > - zeno@cgisecurity.com
>
> Aacckkk! No! Windows XP Pro has the automatic update service enabled by
> default and that is a BAD idea. I want to know what patches are going to be
> installed before they reach my production servers. For one thing I don't
> want to install things that don't apply to my system. For another patches
> are not always tested sufficiently (NT4 SP2 anyone?)
>
> I would prefer that Microsoft leave this function out of the default install
> and opt for "inform me when a patch is available" mode instead. They can
> even make it red and flashy and say "critical" but don't install it for me.

I agree not every patch should be installed. Perhaps manditory security patches should be.
Problem is knowing how microsoft works they'd probably try to sneak something else in along
with that patch..Also they'd have to make sure the patches work properly before releasing on all
systems....

- zeno@cgisecurity.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Since January 18th, no high-priority updates...
    ... Since I do not intend to install NIS 2006 again, I thought it does not matter ... I checked about what you say (time of the Automatic Updates) and changed it ... I uninstalled NIS 2006... ... 2 February 2006 Windows Update Agent Unable to Connect: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: no signal error
    ... from biosupdate to the other updates. ... And also when i finally get into windows and just doing regular tasks as ... Select "review and install updates" and "install ... If you removed any softwares in step 7, restart computer. ...
  • Re: Latest Update Wreaked Havok - Cannot Restore
    ... track of what you install in order to be able to uninstall it. ... been diligent with your critical updates, ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Windows updates fail after install of SP2
    ... I'm sure I didn't delete any log files since my last update though; especially anything to do with Windows Update. ... Are the updates now showing in Add/Remove Programs in the Control ... I thought I would turn automatic updates on so that it would automatically download and install updates but that didn't seem to do anything either. ... The issue of updates not being offered after the application of SP2 is a new twist on an old theme ... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows 98 box is "owned"
    ... Microsoft officially is no longer issuing *new* updates for Windos 98, ... on Windows update, although you will find all the "critical" (as defined ... Perhaps it is time to say screw it and install ... You noted that your mother has ZA. ...
    (Security-Basics)