Re: Fwd: Re: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Dale Harris (rodmur@maybe.org)
Date: 05/02/02

Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 23:25:29 -0700
From: Dale Harris <rodmur@maybe.org>
To: vuln-dev@securityfocus.com

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 11:02:20PM +0200, Peter Boutzev elucidated:
> I personally don't think there is more risk buying with a credit card,
> than with cash money.
>
> In most cases, the bank (or card issuer) gives you a reasonable delay,
> to check your past transactions (one month or so). If there is a fraud,
> the risk is covered by the issuer, as mentioned in the message bellow ...

In the US, credit card users are not responsible for charges above $50 that
they did not make. Important point to remember is that debit cards do not
have this protection, these are the cards that US banks issue that double
as ATM cards and VISA credit cards that deduct directly out of a personal
checking account.

Dale

Relevant Pages

  • Re: FAST-CHARGING THIEF GOES ON 14G SPREE IN 3 HOURS
    ... Suffolk County police said five credit cards were swiped from the ... There, store cameras show, she blew $3,244 on gift cards, luxury ... swiped from a wallet without the owner knowing it. ... food with her credit card so it was on her person at that time. ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: Grocery Stores Stop Accepting Checks...
    ... our credit cards in full nearly every month. ... Americans pay off their credit card balance monthly. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: One more Westerdam caribbean question -- beverages
    ... I also have a copy of the front and back and credit cards so I know ... of ID other than my passport when I travel. ... from the ship or in general non-cruise traveling, ... The three times we've had a credit card number compromised, ...
    (rec.travel.cruises)
  • Re: Teens and credit cards
    ... I never gave my kids a credit card. ... account in the local bank that they could drive or walk up to town to ... I did give my kids one each of the gas cards we had, ... CitiBank says we can't get her a bank account with an Visa/ATM ...
    (misc.kids)
  • How to avoid credit card problems abroad: The U.S. has been slower to adopt newer chip technology fo
    ... How to avoid credit card problems abroad ... The U.S. has been slower to adopt newer chip technology for cards ... American Express, would be accepted. ...
    (rec.travel.europe)